Fossil collection

grace-angel

Hello fosill lovers! After a long long time dreaming at last im starting my own fossil collection! So far i bought some ammonite and petrified wood,And im wandering what other fossils are a 'collector must have'

Sadlly im on a really tight budget,so if someone know a good website to buy some i will be so Thankful :ammonite01::D

Trilobites and sharkteeth are a must have, in my opinion and you can find some cheap ones.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I would say a collection should truly be motivated by your interests as there are no "standards" for what types of fossils make for a great collection. I've seen generalized collections that span several species, types, and ages... and I've been just as impressed with those who specialize in a type (echinoids, for example, or ammonites) or a particular geologic age. Some collectors will say "you need a big Meg tooth!" or some such. A collection that is carefully curated and speaks to your passions and interests is the best collection. :)

The "must-have" fossil in your burgeoning collection is the fossil you want to have. :) It's pretty subjective. 

As for website referrals, I am sorry to say that we can't really provide those as that would brush against the Forum's rules, and we are really into fossils for their scientific, educational, and personal interest value. ;) You can try the big auction sites. There are also a number of fossil-only sites online. If you are in doubt about the authenticity of a specimen, posting a picture here in the "Is it Real" topic thread is a way of getting our assistance. 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the forum from Maryland, USA!

Collectors should have all fossils!:P 

My collection includes a lot of fossils I've found from my area, so those were mostly free. A lot of collectors have Moroccan shark teeth, trilobites, dinosaur teeth, etc.

fish (green river, Lebanon,Brazil) are common additions

A few good old Calvert cliff MD shark teeth!

Good luck! People on the forum are often happy to trade, and some sell, fossils as well. Of course the usual popular auction websites work good to.

Happy hunting,

Mason

I have offered her a nice starter package. Let's see if she takes the bait. (just an expression!)   I have sent many small fossil sample packages out to budding "paleo" begginers to give them a small taste of fossils to get them off the ground with their collections in hopes they will carry their curiosity into a lifetime passion.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

There are some wonderful fossil seller sites, but unfortunately the forum rules do really not allow open talk about them in most situations (I think posts about not falling for ebay scams is an exception)

Like everyone said, there is no actual "standard" for what to get. Whatever you get is all your decision and your choice although you can take inspiration from others. Maybe you can check out other's collection threads to get an idea on what you might want to start on. While most people just collect randos, some try to make sets of fossils that are similar in a way like same location, species, etc.

If you want to get a basic idea of some of the generic fossils many people think is a must have, here are some-

-Ammonites. Their prices range a lot. You can buy small ammonites for a couple of bucks, or big ones for hundreds.

-Trilobites. Like ammonites, their price range alot. You can buy small trilobites for very little, and some decent sized ones for a reasonable price. But a lot of times, you'll find examples of well-prepped examples of very rare trilobite species that go up to a few thousand dollars. But honestly, I don't really care on the species since I concentrate on marine vertebrates.

-Shark teeth. The one thing that everyone goes for. Sharks are extremely diverse, and they can pop up in almost everywhere. The price usually depends on the species (on some species, it becomes the size and location) and location. Shark teeth from morocco are extremely common and can cost only a few bucks for a pack of them. This is also the same for small shark teeth from Eastern United States. The grand prize in shark teeth are megalodon teeth. These teeth have also a quite wide range in price, but it all depends on the size/location of them. Small, under 2-inch teeth are quite the bargain, while 3-inches may have a little below 100 dollar range. 4-inches are usually in the 100 dollar range, and 5 inch plus are way expensive most of the time.

-Mosasaur teeth. Morocco also is rich in mosasaur teeth, which has become increasingly popular since Jurassic World (well I've always wanted mosasaur teeth WAY before the possibility of that movie was even said). You can easily pick a tooth in matrix from just about anywhere for a good price.

-Dinosaur teeth. No fossil collection is complete to many without a tooth from the thing that defined fossils- dinosaurs. Although most dinosaur teeth (especially the famous ones) are very expensive, some are easy to obtain. Spinosaurus teeth, for example, are the easiest dinosaur teeth to obtain. Other bargain examples include small raptor teeth, partial triceratops teeth, and others. (Don't think about trying to get a trex tooth anytime soon unless you're willing to burn thousands upon thousands of cash)

-Green River fish. The Green River formation in Wyoming is by far the richest place in the world for complete fish fossils. Finding whole fish there is very easy, and many people would love to hold onto an entire fish for a small price. The most common species of fish Knightia is a very good starter fossils for many. Other species, however can be very expensive due to their rarity compared to Knightia

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Once the initial enthusiasm has waned a bit, I'd also suggest that you take your time in building up your collection and use this time to learn something about the background of the fossil you have just acquired; its geological history, stratigraphical position, paleogeology, associated fauna, etc.,etc. This activity not only broadens your knowledge, but also inevitably leads to more questions, some of which may inspire you to seek your next acquisition.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:41 PM, Macrophyseter said:

-Trilobites. Like ammonites, their price range alot. You can buy small trilobites for very little, and some decent sized ones for a reasonable price. But a lot of times, you'll find examples of well-prepped examples of very rare trilobite species that go up to a few thousand dollars. But honestly, I don't really care on the species since I concentrate on marine vertebrates.

Here is a slightly more in-depth picture of the trilobite market (All figures in USD - 2017 dollars).

UNDER $5:

In the sub-$5 zone, you are really limited to either partials or some small, common trilobites. Species available in complete form include many from Utah's Wheeler Shale, such as the Agnostid trilobite Itagnostus interstrictus and the famous Elrathia kingii  (Order Ptychopariida). 

$5-$20 RANGE:

Between $5 and $20, options begin to expand. Other orders are available, including some smaller Phacopids and Proetids. Many of these are found in Morocco, such as Gerastos (A Small, ~1 inch Proetid, often available with decent preparation), Flexicalymene (Ordovician Phacopid, but often composited when from Morocco - watch out!), and several of the Family Phacopidae (these would be small to tiny if nicely prepared!). 

$20-50 RANGE:

Now you can get 1-3 inch examples from a diverse range of families. However, one thing to be cautious of is condition. Some species that become available in this price bracket are only poorly-prepared examples of species that are far nicer for only $20 more. Still, in this range, you may find decent Phacopids (but larger and/or in better condition than ones priced between $5-$20). 

If you want a cheap trilobite...

I must admit that my nicest prepared specimen is an $8 Gerastos I bought in a local rock store. These can get decent for <$50, but still offer an interesting, very inflated trilobite. Tubercles cover the glabella (and in some species, more of the exoskeleton), and the holochroal eyes can have the potential to preserve thousands of tiny lenses, requiring high-power magnification to see. However, you have to look carefully. In my case, I picked through ~100 Proetids and Phacopids to find the specimen I purchased. 

• I found this Informative 1

Regards, Jason

"Trilobites survived for a total of three hundred million years, almost the whole duration of the Palaeozoic era: who are we johnny-come-latelies to label them as either ‘primitive’ or ‘unsuccessful’? Men have so far survived half a per cent as long."  - Richard Fortey, Trilobite: Eyewitness to Evolution.