Big Brook, Nj Unidentified Finds

Hoffasaurus

I've posted below some pics of finds from my recent trip to Big Brook, NJ on Sunday. Aside from the numerous shark teeth and belemnites, I did find some things I could use some help identifying....some bone fragments, what I think is petrified wood, misc. teeth, a vert, shells and other odds and ends.

Much appreciated!

Chris

post-1947-1248312260_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312265_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312284_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312290_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312310_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312317_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312331_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312342_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312374_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312403_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312411_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312428_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312451_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312459_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312471_thumb.jpg

Pictures are pretty fuzzy to the point of not being able to see much to do identifying. Try taking photos outdoors with lots of light and use the macro setting if there is one on your camera.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Pictures are pretty fuzzy to the point of not being able to see much to do identifying. Try taking photos outdoors with lots of light and use the macro setting if there is one on your camera.

Brent Ashcraft

I was using my wife's camera...it's one of those $100 cool pix... not the best quality. My apologies.

Another thing you can do is use photoshop on your computer to lighten them. That will bring out more detail. :)

Be true to the reality you create.

The last picture is a modern tooth, possibly from a Opossum. Pics one thru six are Iron concretions which are very common and often look like bones or fossils. The seventh pic looks like modern tree bark. The two ribbed looking things in your eighth pic are steinkerns from fossil clams. Very hard to tell the rest as you need more light and a macro setting on your camera.

The best way to tell if you have a fossil is to tap it on your front teeth. If it sounds dull or soft then it's probably not a fossil. If it "plinks" or has a higher pitched tap then it' probably is a fossil.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The last picture is a modern tooth, possibly from a Opossum. Pics one thru six are Iron concretions which are very common and often look like bones or fossils. The seventh pic looks like modern tree bark. The two ribbed looking things in your eighth pic are steinkerns from fossil clams. Very hard to tell the rest as you need more light and a macro setting on your camera.

The best way to tell if you have a fossil is to tap it on your front teeth. If it sounds dull or soft then it's probably not a fossil. If it "plinks" or has a higher pitched tap then it' probably is a fossil.

Pictures 1 and 2 are the front and back. Front side is rather smooth, back side is very porous like what I would expect to be bone and doesn't have much weight to it. Has another individual on site at Big Brook that I ran into and noted it was definitely a bone fragment. Again, I apologize for the poor photo quality. Since your nearby maybe I'll bring it to the next DVPS meeting in Sept?