Tree Trunk? Lehigh Co. Pa

Hoffasaurus

The pics below are from a fossil I found (and brought in to school for show & tell) when I was about 10 yrs old in Lehigh or Northampton County, PA (I can't remember where exactly, I was so young though I do remember how excited I was). I think it's a tree trunk, but couldn't find any positive ids online.

Thanks!

post-1947-1248312904_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312912_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312919_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312929_thumb.jpg

post-1947-1248312939_thumb.jpg

Looks like a calamites to me. "Primitive" plants that still live today, known around here as scouring rushes.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Guest N.AL.hunter

I agree with calamites. Living ones today are known as Horse tails and indeed were used to scrub pots clean by the early settlers cause they have so much silica in them that they are abrasive.

Got to go with that. That's one impressive fossil :D:D

Be true to the reality you create.

Not only is it Calamites, but it looks to be the terminal end. Very nice!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice find, good diameter and thickness and if that is the growing tip... WOW! The segments look very closely spaced so it's entirely possible this was a new branch or maybe the tip of a much taller stem. That is a keeper!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Guest solius symbiosus

While, granted, not much on Pennsylvanian flora, this does not appear to be Calamites... the proportions seem to be off, and where are those longitudinal grooves?

Can someone provide a link to a pic?

Gotta add to this that when I first looked at this- before I looked closely I immediately thought "what a cool trilobite." Love the detail.

Definitely a display shelf prize! :D

Be true to the reality you create.

While, granted, not much on Pennsylvanian flora, this does not appear to be Calamites... the proportions seem to be off, and where are those longitudinal grooves?

Can someone provide a link to a pic?

The longitudinal grooves are visible in the last pic on the right side.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Guest solius symbiosus
Gotta add to this that when I first looked at this- before I looked closely I immediately thought "what a cool trilobite." Love the detail.

Definitely a display shelf prize! :D

I don't see it; and even if i did, the proportions are off. Can you provide a link to something similar?

This is why we are thinking it's a different part of the trunk. The pics are not the best but maybe Hoffasaurus will post better closeups. Do you have any other ideas? I thought at first it was part of a very large cephalopod but I think it's more plant like now.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The last picture does have the longitudinal grooves, but the picture is a bit blurry and they are hard to see.

Honestly, I looked at lots of pictures of Calamostachys and can't find one that resembles this one.

The way it's shaped, it could be a bud or new growth that's rarely captured in the fossil record.

At first glance, I thought it was a lobster. :D Either way, it's a very nice specimen of whatever it turns out to be.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Admitted not the best source, but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamites

It is a calamites fossil. No doubt about it. It is correctly IDed. End of story. Done.

It can't be done yet. Not enough people have argued about it. :P

Just kidding, that last picture is a great match.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Definitely a Calamites, the ones with the tighter smaller sections tend to be harder to find in my experience. It is my favorite plant fossil... excellent find.

Very nice find...... thanks for showing it......

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I really appreciate everyone's posts. And I apologize for my terrible photos...my wife's cool pix camera is certainly not the highest of quality for closeups and detail! I'm working on getting something a bit better.

Chris

I really appreciate everyone's posts. And I apologize for my terrible photos...my wife's cool pix camera is certainly not the highest of quality for closeups and detail! I'm working on getting something a bit better.

Chris

Never seen a Cool Pix without macro. It's the setting with the little flower and ma be under "scene"n the main menu. Also more light equals faster shutter and sharper pic. Go out in the sun to shoot.

That is an awesome specimen and maybe worthy of a museum. I'd take it to a DVPS meeting and get let a few folks take a gander.