Mosasaur Tooth?

Pitviper

Found this at Ramenessin today... I'm thinking mosasaur but it's small, only 1/4 inch.

What do you folks think? Lord Piney? :D

600806241_6FMJ4-XL.jpg

600806414_qWVLi-L.jpg

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

hmmm could be fish not really sure but if its only 1/4" long and looks like that best bet is fish. What has me stumped is the way the enamle worn down, fish dont usually have the vertical cracks like this tooth has.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Hey, I'm a friend of LORDPINEY, and It does have the shape of a mosasaur tooth, nice ridges, which shows it is reptilian anyway.

Yes, it strongly suggests reptile; mosasaur, croc, etc.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm not ready to ride that wagon yet. I've found some small mosasaur teeth, but that one doesn't seem to have the same structure. A worn rostral spine maybe, but not mosasaur. At least it will take more to convince me, for what it's worth. :)

Is the whole thing 1/4"?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

In the pic, it seems to be split lengthwise, with maybe a conical hollow in the "base". I doubt that the length is entire, either.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Please take a picture of the opposite (flat? broken? ) side. It could possibly be mosasaur but at this point I'm not completely convinced.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

With respect to Pitviper, here is his end shot with the size and brightness bumped up.

post-420-1248491602_thumb.jpg

Found this at Ramenessin today... I'm thinking mosasaur but it's small, only 1/4 inch.

What do you folks think? Lord Piney? :D

post-42-1248497721_thumb.jpgpost-42-1248497827_thumb.jpg[a

ttachment=31309:gatorvsm...urtoothB.jpg]

post-42-1248497842_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Im gonna go with croc on this. Of course Im almost always wrong. It a good find though and good luck on the ID part.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Hey PV, you should try cropping photos if you can...more bang for your buck. :D Like Toothpuller asked, could you take a pic of the "broken" side with a coin or ruler for scale? Thanks.

hey brian...im gonna say croc on this one only because all the mosasaur teeth ive found that are this size, are curved more than yours. however i could be wrong. it's hard to say exactly what species of marine reptile that's from. bring it with you the next time we go hunting.

Hey, I'm a friend of LORDPINEY, and It does have the shape of a mosasaur tooth, nice ridges, which shows it is reptilian anyway.

wassup sunshine? lol. nice to see you on here finally!! im still pretty sore after the accident, but im itchin to get back out in the creeks. gimmie a call when you get a chance.

Not an expert on Mos but I have found a few. Here's some more for comparrison;

post-1313-1248546901_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1248546943_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1248546967_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

I'm leaning towards the tip of a croc tooth now myself.

Hey Phil, accident? You ok?

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

it can be very difficult to distinguish between small mosasaur and croc/gator teeth, especially in this rounded condition with extra iron plaque. But it does look one of the two

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I'm leaning towards the tip of a croc tooth now myself.

Hey Phil, accident? You ok?

hey brian...

yeah im ok. to make a long story short...i fell asleep driving, and took out a pole. i totaled my truck. im still a little sore in my chest, but otherwise not a scratch. i wasnt drinking when it happened, but i had a couple of beer cans in the back of my truck, so of course the cops want to make a federal case out of it. now ive gotta get a laywer, and with the work situation not being good, i think im screwed! im hoping a public defender wont be too bad, but im not very optimistic. im half tempted to just run to fla but that wont solve anything. i'll let you know how i make out.

it can be very difficult to distinguish between small mosasaur and croc/gator teeth, especially in this rounded condition with extra iron plaque. But it does look one of the two

Agreed.

I like fossils like this because they teach us. Thanks, Pitviper.