Petrified Wood?

Link

This will probably be an easy ID...

Link, I don't think so, your link isn't working! :P

Looks like pet wood to me

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Pet wood? Does it need walks?

Seriously, this is my first fossil (that I've found)! Yay!

This is the part where you guys say things like "nice find."

Nice find, Link. A shot of the "end", or cross-section, is always helpful is distiguishing pet wood from the laminar geology of cool rock. Sometimes it is easier to see the grain.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well, there's no "cross-section", really; it's mostly just a flat, maybe slightly curved piece of wood with some rocks cemented onto the back. I'm thinking that the rocks indicate that the specimen is older than the minimum time required for wood to petrify. Also, the petrified wood is soft (for a rock, that it; it's kind of like the hardness of bathroom tile).

...with some rocks cemented onto the back...

Hmmm...

That's a little unusual for pet wood, in my limited experience. Mineral replacement doesn't usually cement rocks to the wood.

Can you see growth rings or cell structure?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm...

That's a little unusual for pet wood, in my limited experience. Mineral replacement doesn't usually cement rocks to the wood.

Can you see growth rings or cell structure?

Sometimes the wood can be reworked into another formation and get other material attached to it. I have a piece I found at Whiskey Bridge that is partially covered with concretion material like the antler (I believe it was) that JohnJ found.

Nice find Link. ;)

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

O yea nice finds Link now go fine some more

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway