UK Riker case

thelivingdead531

Does anyone know of a good site for Riker cases located in the UK, besides Just In Case? They are not only pricey, but mostly sold out every time I visit their site. Thanks!

I'm wondering something similar but for the Netherlands. I haven't tried using Riker mounts before but it seems like it could really help with displaying fossils nicely and efficiently. As you say, that ones that are sold seem to be quite pricey.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I have used them before, but I always make my own. The design is simple, anyone can make one you just need to remember the rule measure twice cut once to get accurate joints and seals.

I use Riker cases for all my shark and dinosaur teeth, have dozens of them and they are great and easy to use.  Unfortunately they are pricy but those prices in Just in Case are not out of line.  I buy mine locally in the States by the case and can reduce my cost that way.    

I do make the cabinets that holds the rikers 

20170629_071236_20171105054007962.thumb.jpg.20c22ffdc8d0491f1b84e5a5ca03f0b0.jpg220170629_071133.thumb.jpg.97ebfaeeeb7efb713cd717235960fec8.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Hi I been looking to buy some myself but I really think they are not available in the uk. You really needs some now you won that great collection on auction yesterday :)

I am now saving up to buy another vintage engineer’s tool box to hold more fossil. Good luck in your search.

cheers Bobby 

@Troodon Their prices aren't terrible, but as an American living in England I have to either factor in the conversion rate in the prices, or order from the states and pay quite a bit in shipping (even to an APO box). It's kind of a lose-lose situation for me. :(

14 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

Hi I been looking to buy some myself but I really think they are not available in the uk. You really needs some now you won that great collection on auction yesterday :)

I am now saving up to buy another vintage engineer’s tool box to hold more fossil. Good luck in your search.

cheers Bobby 

You're right, they don't appear to be widely available here in the UK, and it seems that Just In Case is just about the only company that supplies them. Every time I want to order from them they are sold out of what I want. It's a little frustrating sometimes. I definitely need some because of that sweet auction, several other purchases, and a couple of hunting trips recently! 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

I did think about adapting jewellery boxes there are lots of sizes and shapes available. 

That is a good idea actually. It would work for a few of my fossils. I wish I had the tools and know how to build wooden cases. After seeing @JohnBrewer's letterpress tray of curiosities, I've been trying to think of a way to put a lid on something like that, because it would be perfect!

Letterpress tray are nice and John’s look really great. They are not to expensive and easy to find. They must be a way to make a lid one of them.

I use golf ball display cases, which is not the same, but works very well for less than golfball sized fossils ( or small jars/vials) with the added bonus that they have lids. All this talk of letter press trays is making me want one.

• I found this Informative 1

Бо́гу моли́сь, а добра́-ума́ держи́сь.

Nice idea to reuse golf balls display trays . I have add a couple of images of my wooden tool box draws that I have.

64592DB1-BD8D-4960-BF61-0ED5EB12F51B.jpeg

DC2AAD8D-39DA-4A51-8484-2802BFAD4BB0.jpeg

or a simple way to build some cases your self would be to build a simple frame and put a backing on it, cotton wool rolls work really well for the protection.

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Haravex said:

or a simple way to build some cases your self would be to build a simple frame and put a backing on it, cotton wool rolls work really well for the protection.

The ‘stuffing’ quilters use in quilts, called ‘batting wadding’ is fab stuff and what I use in boxes. It comes in many different thicknesses, really cheap, easily available and is simple to cut. 

@thelivingdead531 that was the only place I could find in the UK. 

I’ve tried making Riker type and they looked rubbish. 

As as I type I’ve had a lightbulb moment! I wonder if deep set frames with batting in would work. Not sure if it would be cheaper than real Riker boxes. IKEA maybe worth visiting 

4469A7B9-4212-440F-8BA7-72E93E63ECC1.jpeg.f4116ff9585c45ea2c0d25206a33c889.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1