Found This In Mid Tennessee

dannybrooks

• New Members

Found this while metal detecting in Mid Tennessee....it is beautiful. Can anyone tell me what it is?

I found another about a week later and much larger about the size of a cannon ball. I will take a pic of it and post it tomorrow

post-1985-1248748489_thumb.jpg

post-1985-1248748594_thumb.jpg

post-1985-1248748609_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

Would need to see a pic magnified about x10-x20 of an individual corallite to determine a specie or family. With that type of silicification, the structure might not be there for a conclusive determination.

Your best bet would be to find some literature describing the fauna of the formation in which it was found.

• New Members

Thanks guys....is this a good fossil? Rare? Common?....I love it. I am brand new here so bare with me.

Thanks guys....is this a good fossil? Rare? Common?....I love it. I am brand new here so bare with me.

Its commom in your state but that is a very nice one. Google coral fossils Tenn lots of info.

And Welcome to the Forum from Galveston Island.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Definitely a good fossil. Rarity? That depends on where you find it and how many others have been found. I would be more than happy to have found that for my collection. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Real attractive fossil!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have found similar ones in Kentucky. If you don't want them, box them up and send them to me! :P

I am guessing these corals are from the Ordovician?, most of the sedimentary rocks exposed in Mid-Tennessee is from the Ordovician Period.

It looks like it belongs to the Genus Favosites, most of these have been lumped into this Genus, recent literature may offer more.

These weathered silicified corals do not normally allow you to determine much more than the genus if that.

They are fairly common and I have some very large ones myself and use them to decorate my garden.