Cetacean vertebrae question

Miocene_Mason

I possess three vertebrae from Calvert county (I think they are all from plum point which I believe is Calvert formation, miocene) all cetacean. One of them is strange to me and I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to these questions:

•why does it have such a large spinal cord opening (pardon my lack of anatomically accurate terms) is this because of placement or species? I vaguely remember it being called a porpoise vert.

• the other two possess a channel at the bottoms but this one dosent, why is this so?

The first picture is the vert I speak of. Thanks!

IMG_0088.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

Happy hunting,

Mason

@Boesse can probably help you out with your questions and provide some additional info on the verts, maybe Family or type of cetacean (i.e. baleen, etc.)  Another option would be to email photos to Dr. Stephen Godfrey at Calvert Marine Museum. He specializes in Miocene cetacean and is pretty good about answering email. It's available on the museum's website.

Cheers,

• I found this Informative 1

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

Hey all, The one without channels and a large neural foramen is a lumbar vertebra, whereas the other is a caudal; cetaceans have a curious network of arteries that pierce the posterior caudal vertebrae.

Neither of these is identifiable past "Cetacea" or Neoceti, though the small one is likely from an odontocete.

• I found this Informative 3

6 minutes ago, Boesse said:

Hey all, The one without channels and a large neural foramen is a lumbar vertebra, whereas the other is a caudal; cetaceans have a curious network of arteries that pierce the posterior caudal vertebrae.

Neither of these is identifiable past "Cetacea" or Neoceti, though the small one is likely from an odontocete.

Very interesting, thank you for the information! It is much appreciated!

On 11/8/2017 at 4:31 PM, SailingAlongToo said:

@Boesse can probably help you out with your questions and provide some additional info on the verts, maybe Family or type of cetacean (i.e. baleen, etc.)  Another option would be to email photos to Dr. Stephen Godfrey at Calvert Marine Museum. He specializes in Miocene cetacean and is pretty good about answering email. It's available on the museum's website.

Cheers,

Thanks!

Happy hunting,

Mason