Unidentified Gmr Finds

brachiomyback

Some unidentifiables from a Green Mill Run Trip, Greenville NC this past weekend.

The first I was told could be a tooth socket / tooth partial. The form of it looks similar to a mosasaur tooth socket that I have.

The second is an invertebrate that came from an area of the creek proximate to a Pee Dee formation exposure.

At first I though it was the bottom part of a Exogyra costata.

The third is either a concretion or hopefully a shark turd. :P

thanks for your input and opines...

- Brad

post-986-1248808797_thumb.jpg

post-986-1248808811_thumb.jpg

post-986-1248808831_thumb.jpg

post-986-1248808843_thumb.jpg

post-986-1248808857_thumb.jpg

Your invert pic looks like a Pycnodonte "lid" (I know it's a valve just not sure which) but then I've seen some Exogyra species with smooth lids. hmmm....

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

looks like a tooth socket to me, and id say either pycnodonte or e.cancellata lid. oh, and id say some kind of poop. not a concretion.

I agree with Pycnodonte. And I will say it looks like P. Vesicularis, from the middle Cretaceous to the early Paleogene. :)

the thing that was mentioned as a possible tooth & socket doesn't appear like one to me, and the material it is comprised of doesn't look right for that. don't know what it is, though.

the oyster valve is probably from a large cretaceous oyster but i wouldn't venture a guess as to which one. it is my understanding from talking to a paleo personage that it is hypothosized that the smaller valve was actually the top of the oyster, because they lived in the surf and their heavy bottom valve kept them in place somewhat since they hadn't signed all the contracts to evolve and attach to each other yet for stability. i've got a bunch of exogyra valves, and their pattern is somewhat different from that one, so it might be pycnodonte as mentioned.

to me the black "pellet" looks like a pellet of phosphate, which is of organic origin, but formed/precipitated out through marine diagenetic processes. it definitely isn't a shark coprolite.

The "socket" looks like another unusual phosphate nodule. You can probably see, in hand, there are a lot of differences with your other tooth socket (which is a really cool display).

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ