Mammoth/mastodon/giant Sloth/i Wish

Tracer Jr.

sorry for the lackluster pictures, but maybe someone can help me out with this big hunka bone. one end of it seems to be unbroken and has an odd, bumpy structure. the bone also has a slight curve which i tried to photograph in the second picture, but it didn't work out too well. the entire bottom of the bone as well as the "non-bumpy" side is spongy/cancellous (sp?). it was found in a pleistocene river.

post-936-1248827512_thumb.jpg

top view with bumpy side

post-936-1248827496_thumb.jpg

blurry spongy side where you can kind of see a curve through the blur. :)

not sure if these pictures will do the job or if there isn't enough of it to tell, but it was worth a shot.

Agreed, Geochelone or Hesperotestudo

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

ok, now we're curious. i took some different pictures, as posted below.

post-488-1248875398_thumb.jpg

this is the curved "exterior" surface

post-488-1248875414_thumb.jpg

this is just a closer view of the same surface

post-488-1248875432_thumb.jpg

this is one of the ends. it looks to me kind of like an epiphyseal line, but i didn't know if it could be that or just weird differential erosion of an exposed end in an energetic environment, but it really does look kinda like an epiphyseal line...

post-488-1248875451_thumb.jpg

this is the "back" side of the thing - typical cancellous/spongy bone. the other broken "edge" opposite the weird edge is just cancellous bone also.

anyway, i'd like to know if ya'll still consider this likely a piece of tortoise shell in light of the new photos, and if so, could you please tell me what characteristic(s) cause you to make that judgment. additionally, if you know the average thickness of giant land tortoise shell, i'd like to know that also. thanks.

post-488-1248875432_thumb.jpg

This is the picture that leads me to believe it is tortoise. This edge is typical of one of the fused edges in between two plates of tortoise shell. I've found giant tortoise shell that was over 4" thick.