Fossils In Caves?

michael

• New Members

I do a lot of caving here in the TAG region and have wondered if anyone has had any luck finding fossils in caves?

I haven't personally, but I know of a cave in the Austin, Tx area that has a whole room full of fossils. It was created during an earthquake, and the floor flipped over and is now the ceiling. There are fossils all over it.

I guess it all depends on what kind of cave you're in, and how long it's been there.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Michael,

Welcome fellow spelunker to the forum,

Used to cave at Illinois Caverns / Monroe County back in the day when the late "caretaker" of the cave Armin Krueger operated it.

He let us explore some of his "personal" caves in the proximate area.

Caving and searching for fossils..... that sounds like a good mix.

Hit any caves in the TN area.

FYI... found this with a quick Google search

http://www.cumberlandadventures.com/fossils/fossils.html

- Brad

post-986-1248840289_thumb.jpg

post-986-1248840310_thumb.jpg

post-986-1248840327_thumb.jpg

Let me say a thing:

Fossil hunting in caves is forbidden in most countries, and is ethically a bad thing to do.

Sometime ago, there was a disscussion in the forum of this theme.

I won`t do it, just admire the fossils on the cave, and leave them "in situ" for others to look to them!

Guest solius symbiosus
Let me say a thing:

Fossil hunting in caves is forbidden in most countries, and is ethically a bad thing to do.

Sometime ago, there was a disscussion in the forum of this theme.

^^Yep, I know that it is illegal to remove ANY formation, or fossil, from a cave in the South, and probably in the rest of the US, as well as most, if not all, countries.

AND IT IS MORALLY REPREHINSABLE.

Ok, I'll bite.

Why?

I understand about the formations in the caves, but why not fossils?

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Let me reiterate and state that it is my opinion that fossil hunting is caves is acceptable; however collection is NOT.

It's no different than looking for / at beautiful stalagtites or stalagmites or other formations.

Bring a camera to "collect" your finds. I agree with the two words.... "in situ"

Removing any formations is a BIG NO NO and I thought that was just common knowledge.

Caves / wildlife can be impacted by humans being in them in various waves (ie...shedding hair, lint from clothes).

I recall seeing a show one time (believe the Discovery Channel) on a popular "Tourist" cave.

Every so often a group of cave conservators would literally go in the caves with tweezers to pick up clothes link / hair that end up "shedding" on the formations.

You should have seen the "hair ball".

Saw this on the Discovery Channel too.....

Crystal Cave of the Giants

:faint:

- Brad

Guest N.AL.hunter

Hello,

As a former member of the NSS and living here in Huntsville, Alabama the national headquarters... it is illegal to take anything out of a cave except trash. So yes, you can take pictures of fossils and there are many caves in TAG that have plenty of them to see, but you can't take any of them out of the cave.

Del