Interesting Shell Imprint At Creek

fosceal2

post-218-1248895697_thumb.jpgpost-218-1248895791_thumb.jpgpost-218-1248895811_thumb.jpgpost-218-1248895521_thumb.jpg

This creek borders the field where my big Beloved rock was found.The rocks along here are very interesting but most are too big for me and the kids to move.post-218-1248895577_thumb.jpgpost-218-1248895597_thumb.jpg any ideas on the large flat looking shell?

Thank you

Fosceal

What I see in the pics are brachiopod fossils (nothing to do with clams, worm family, although they look like). The layer is from paleozoic (Devonian?) era, and in the first pics, I can Id them as Spirifer species, but not much more...

Nice outcrop! Look out for Trilos, Ammonoids and / or sea lilies! Just a matter of time! Hit more time in that place! :drool:

Definitely Brachiopods, the majority look like a Spiriferd of some sort from the Devonian. Those are internal molds of the shells (the external shell as since dissolved). The beaks are the key in figuring out an internal mold from an external shell. They look like a Mucrospirifer or Mediospirifer that I find in the Devonian rocks up here in PA.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Definitely Brachiopods, the majority look like a Spiriferd of some sort from the Devonian. Those are internal molds of the shells (the external shell as since dissolved). The beaks are the key in figuring out an internal mold from an external shell. They look like a Mucrospirifer or Mediospirifer that I find in the Devonian rocks up here in PA.

I agree.

Ok Brachiopods. So

the one outlined in hot pink-post-218-1249181023_thumb.jpg is a brachiopod spirifer? Mucrospirifer or mediaspirifer?

Thank you,

Fosceal

That one is a brachiopod but I can't say for sure what genus. It could be something from the Strophomenata seeing that is has a wide hinge line and flat profile.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/