Teeth From Pungo I Can't Find

Dave Bowen

My daughter and son found two teeth in some pungo gravel this morning.

The closest thing I can find to the longer one is a saw shark tooth- Pristiophorous lanceolatus. However, the curve, and taper don't match exactly to any of the specimens I've looked at. I saw a devil ray tooth that looked close also, but there are differences.

The short one, I can't find anything resembling it. I've looked at all of the bony fish from that area and really can't come up with a match.

Any ideas?

post-1882-1248968750_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1248968802_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1248968818_thumb.jpg

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

The bigger one is "porpoise"; can't place the small one.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i think the small one is eather fish or somekind of reptile bet it might be mammalian but thier 2 things it not for sure that can be for sure and that bird and shark

The large one looks like porpoise. The other one Im not sure about. Did you find those in that stuff I gave you? If so then cool Ill have to look closely at the stuff I have.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I'd guess porpoise also. I'm gonna have to go through my stuff now, and see what goodies I can find.

Yea, I found it in the Pungo gravel you gave me Tara. I saw some porpoise teeth but none of them looked like this one. The other one is really stumping me. Nothing even remotely close is coming up.

Thanks for the suggestions, and I'll call it a porpoise tooth. :)

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

I'm really glad y'all are enjoying it! It was such a blessing that I got to go and I'm more than happy to pass some of that happiness around.

Ive seen that small tooth somewhere but for the life of me I cant remember. Paleo Ron would know in a heart beat I bet.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

They look mammalian to me. Maybe seal or porpoise? Bmore, whaddya think?

cant help on this one i have found a few but i thought they were fish, this one doesnt look the the ones i have, with the large root like that i would say porpoise, its not seal.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Are we sure it's a tooth?

post-423-1249002650_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The little one reminds me of a dermal dentical from a shark which type I am not sure of..

The little one reminds me of a dermal dentical from a shark which type I am not sure of..

That's where my mind is wandering. I know the bulbous base is hard to reconcile with that idea, but the striated structure has that look.

Yes, they both are definitely teeth. The small bulbous part is a root structure on both.

They both have a definite enamel. The larger one looks striated, but they are cracks. I'll try to get some better pictures of them.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Are we sure it's a tooth?

post-423-1249002650_thumb.jpg

Now that I look closer I think it might be one of Cierra's horns ;) . She sheds them right before bigger ones come in. :D

Alfred North Whithead

Now that I look closer I think it might be one of Cierra's horns ;) . She sheds them right before bigger ones come in. :D

haha!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.