Finds From Nsf Last Weekend

TXHunter

Here a few things we found at the North Sulphur River last weekend. I know what the Baculites are, but I am pretty much lost on the rest of it. I know a few aren't fossils, there are about 3-4 cool rocks I found.

I am especially curious about the flat round one with the gold flakes on one side and the o-ring on the other side. Pics are here ==> http://rlspics.shutterfly.com/

Hello, the gold flaky one is a pyrite nodule.And you have a piece of well tumbled piece of bone which is a common find at the NSR.The horseshoe looking one looks to be the root portion of a shark tooth.

Hello, the gold flaky one is a pyrite nodule.And you have a piece of well tumbled piece of bone which is a common find at the NSR.The horseshoe looking one looks to be the root portion of a shark tooth.

It does look like there is pyrite in it, but that circle on the back leaves me wondering if it is possibly a fossil. It almost reminds me of an urchin??

It does look like there is pyrite in it, but that circle on the back leaves me wondering if it is possibly a fossil. It almost reminds me of an urchin??

hang on, let me think a sec - NAHHHH!!!!

:rolleyes:

the two big reddish things that look like irony sulphurousnosities are sompin like FeS2.125 concretions of minerally goodness. the big grey (i'm british at heart) thingee with a swirl in the end is a broken piece of an exogyra ponderosa oyster, which if you go downstream a ways from where you where, you can find in copiousitiesness. all the stuff that's jet black are phosphatic internal molds, mainly of baculites. the dark brown thing that with "spongy" interior looks like a piece of a giant extinct marine reptile's skeletal support system. couldn't see the rest of the stuff well enough in the pictures to hold forth on it.

it is apparent, however, from the assemblage, that you were at the north sulphur river, but you knew that already.

oh, i thought i might have seen one or two of the red zone casts of a type of sponge in there, if it's got a rough exterior on it kinda like one of those old cereal shredded wheat biscuit thingees (no, i don't know why my brain draws analogies like that).

(p.s. - the .123 above doesn't actually belong there but i just like being imprecise, sorta.)

Anyone know if this is a tooth or not? It broke in half as you can see in pictures 44 and 45.

As your off-site album only contains 22 pictures, I'm not sure what "pictures 44 and 45" refers to.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As your off-site album only contains 22 pictures, I'm not sure what "pictures 44 and 45" refers to.

Sorry, pictures 17 & 18.

Sorry, pictures 17 & 18.

No sorry , looks like a concretion .

Nice finds , my wife likes the Pyrite , it is shinny , she like shinny things !

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

id say the gold one is a pyritized mosasaur sphincter muscle...the "o" ring gives it away ;) the baculites are very nice!