Need Help On Polished Stone Fist Flint Axe. ?

Austin2000

Hello There

I had bought this at a yard sale a few years back. And was told it wa a Indian tool of some sort then i was informed that it could be a Fist Axe from the Archaic period. But i have been unable to locate one like it. If you have any information please let me know My email is Testlaser@Hotmail.com

The size is 3 3/4" wide by 1 1/4" thick by 3 1/8" deep

Also the other images are of some Black clay or stone Beads of Birds balls and a Disc. And a red clay figure that make the sound of a Morning Dove like a Hoot hoot when you blow in the End and cover the side holes like a flute

Thanks Austin

post-2015-1249081369_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249081515_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249081619_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249081806_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249081881_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249081965_thumb.jpg

Looks like it could be a hammer stone. One that is used to break flakes from the spear point. It also could be just a stone that was found that has a piece broke off. I have found pieces like that.

Im intrested in what your Name means? ClassicCannons

I love cannons.

Looks like it could be a hammer stone. One that is used to break flakes from the spear point. It also could be just a stone that was found that has a piece broke off. I have found pieces like that.

Im intrested in what your Name means? ClassicCannons

I love cannons.

Hello I make Scale cannons & mortars from titanium & brass steel my website is down now attached are a few of the ones i have made also i make ball molds the site will be back up next week its called ClassicCannons.com & TitaniumCannons.com

The Howitzer & the Nap barrels are .50 cal the larger Coehorn is Golball and the smaller one is .750 and all the hardware is custom made such as the bolts & nuts.

Thanks Austin

post-2015-1249083721_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249083867_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1249084222_thumb.jpg

Those are really nice! I saw this new show the other day about some Pawnbrokers in Vegas. I think it might be a series. Anyway, this guy brought in a really cool cannon. It was used to fight the Indians and Spanish. They actually took it out and fired it. Think it was worth around 40k. :o

Those are really nice! I saw this new show the other day about some Pawnbrokers in Vegas. I think it might be a series. Anyway, this guy brought in a really cool cannon. It was used to fight the Indians and Spanish. They actually took it out and fired it. Think it was worth around 40k. :o

That is a cool show, its called Pawn Stars. They bought a civil war sword for $1000 from this gun.... Old guns for cheap.... my problem would be I would never sell the stuff I liked :blush:

Hello I make Scale cannons & mortars from titanium & brass steel my website is down now attached are a few of the ones i have made also i make ball molds the site will be back up next week its called ClassicCannons.com & TitaniumCannons.com

The Howitzer & the Nap barrels are .50 cal the larger Coehorn is Golball and the smaller one is .750 and all the hardware is custom made such as the bolts & nuts.

Thanks Austin

Are these functional?? Those are really cool!

Are these functional?? Those are really cool!

Hello Jax

On the small .50 cal ones they use 20 grains of black powder without a ball 15 grains with a ball the recoil is to much for the pully system on the Howitzer. On the larger Coehorn i used 250-300 grains makes a hell of a bang. Theirs a clip on Youtube my user id is classiccannons their also. I just got some 2" dia Gr 5 & 7 Titanium but i have finished one yet just a Coehorn out of that material. the URL for the Golfball one is

Hi Austin,

Welcome to the Forum. Your chert / flint nodule doesn't appear to be a fist axe. Typically, there would be a little more edge flaking; so, if this is the best side then you have randomly fractured piece of chert. Notice also it was fractured at two different times (the darker vs. the lighter exposed surfaces). Hammerstones are commonly made of quartzite or similar textured stone. I'd suspect they were very rarely ever made of chert because you don't have much control over which stone is going to flake. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hello Jax

On the small .50 cal ones they use 20 grains of black powder without a ball 15 grains with a ball the recoil is to much for the pully system on the Howitzer. On the larger Coehorn i used 250-300 grains makes a hell of a bang. Theirs a clip on Youtube my user id is classiccannons their also. I just got some 2" dia Gr 5 & 7 Titanium but i have finished one yet just a Coehorn out of that material. the URL for the Golfball one is

That is super cool! I gotta get me one. My dad had a carbide cannon when he was younger, but im not sure you can buy that stuff any more.

That is super cool! I gotta get me one. My dad had a carbide cannon when he was younger, but im not sure you can buy that stuff any more.

Google, Big Bang cannons. Still available. I as well had one when I was a kid. They're great.

Google, Big Bang cannons. Still available. I as well had one when I was a kid. They're great.

Hi thanks Austin

Those are really nice! Thanks for posting and welcome to the family.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Those are really nice! Thanks for posting and welcome to the family.

Hi BareFootGirl

Thanks for the reply some day they be artifacts. Have a great evening should i add more pics in my profile I know its really not in the fossil topic. But it seems like we all have the same intrest in the forum. Thanks Again Austin

I am still researching the beads but as to the chert/flint a lot of Native Americans would work a nice piece of chert down to a size that was easier to carry and would later trade them for other goods or work them themselves at a later time. I have seen chert/flint grinding stones in areas where chert is abundant but they usually do not work them.

The best days are spent collecting fossils