Found This In My Parent's Yard

Guest jeepbrew

Your parents have a cave on there property? Man your lucky!! Sorry, I'm no help on the id thing.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Its a pretty cool fern frond, and there's another kind in the top left corner too.

Do you think it is a local rock, or was it brought in for landscaping?

Also, what are the dimensions?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

how cool to find it there..

i think i now what it is, but i know there are some experts here so i wait for their answer. Its carboniferous age..

Guest jeepbrew
Its a pretty cool fern frond, and there's another kind in the top left corner too.

Do you think it is a local rock, or was it brought in for landscaping?

Also, what are the dimensions?

It is definitely local. They are the first and only people to ever live on the property. They live in a rocky/hilly part of Birmingham, AL. The entire side of the hill their house sits on is covered up by these types of rocks, and I found this one back in a cave that I haven't gone into in about 15-20 years.

It is about a foot long, 10 inches high I would say. I am not sitting there with the rock right now so I can't be certain. There are also fossils on the back side of the rock. I will attach another photo of the back side...

post-1904-1249158278_thumb.png

Well, it's a beautiful fossil!

It looks to be Carboniferous, but I don't know the stratigraphy in Birmingham, so we should wait for someone who does.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very Nice Fern Fossil, Great Find.

It looks very similar to and believe it is named Lyginopteris.

They are found in Pottsville Fm., Lower Pennsylvanian of your area.