Sooo...i Think This One's Gonna Be A Big "gotcha"

tracer

tj has laser eyes or something. he's always spotting interesting things that don't even look like anything. so anyway, he spotted this thing. it was pretty small - maybe the size of a quarter. he asked me what i thought it was. told him i wasn't sure. later found out exactly what it was. figured i'd let ya'll guess a bit before i tell you, though. hah!

post-488-1249231287_thumb.jpg

oh, sorry for the photo quality. cellphone product.

tj has laser eyes or something. he's always spotting interesting things that don't even look like anything. so anyway, he spotted this thing. it was pretty small - maybe the size of a quarter. he asked me what i thought it was. told him i wasn't sure. later found out exactly what it was. figured i'd let ya'll guess a bit before i tell you, though. hah!

post-488-1249231287_thumb.jpg

oh, sorry for the photo quality. cellphone product.

Imbedded brach or pelecypod, hinge portion exposed?

To me, it has an air of vertness about it; a certain vertitude, if you will.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Vert was my first impression also.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

ok, well, since this was pretty much a trick question anyway, i won't drag it out longer. i thought it looked like a vert of some kind myself, but something about it just wasn't quite right. i took the picture of it, and then tj tried to pick it up. it didn't budge. so he sort of trenched around it a bit and tried to move it, and it didn't move.

bottom line, it was just a teeny bit of a very large buried object. as far as i can figure from anatomy references online, it is a eustachian canal in the basioccipital bone at the back lower portion of a skull. so here's what the other side of this upper back portion of a very large gator skull looked like when he finally got it out of the ground.

post-488-1249253000_thumb.jpg

from doing comparative length/width analysis of a known-size gator skull online, this animal would have had about a 21" long skull and been 10-12 feet long.

too bad more of the skull wasn't there, but it was still a very interesting and surprising find for a young man picking at what he thought was a very small bone.

link to look at for comparison gator skeleton

the bottom picture - the little black hole near the back of the underside of the top of the skull is what was exposed. got it? good.

Fabulous. In what setting did yall find such a thing?

we go as far as we can as often as we can, but my son kind of likes exploring coastal-area waterways, and he apparently also likes using his cupholder on his kayak for things other than drinks.

post-488-1249256307_thumb.jpg

Is he using it for a bait well, or is that a fossil in there?

well, both, kinda. to me, it looks like he's got some kinda small fossil in with a not-nearly-fossilized juvenile member of the apalone spinifera persuasion.

i'm thinkin' the turtle leapt in on him temporarily until he could convince it of the error of its ways and send it off with a reminder to keep away from drugs and kayaks and be home by 10:00.

This is a modern bone I assume by the size and preservation? Or possibly Pleistocene?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

This is a modern bone I assume by the size and preservation? Or possibly Pleistocene?

"modern" is such an ugly word. no, this sucker is from a gator who was coincidanterly buried in a giant hurrilcano clamity at 2359 hours on new year's eve 10,000 years ago. and besides, his ancestors were fossils.

p.s. - this brings us back to the "what's a fossil" discussion, and i've looked at a lot of bones now, and can safely say that i'm fairly sure when i see stuff at both ends of the spectrum, but not sure on the stuff in the middle. the environments in which the stuff gets buried vary so widely that i no longer really believe that you can tell just from the degree of mineralization, unless the thing has turned to pure agate or chert and has stoney matrix all over it too.

but all seriousness aside, i'm certain that the monster gator tj found a substantive remnant of was both old and large and mean and could have benefited from a laxative, except they hadn't been invented yet.

Ancient or new, that is a very cool find! Unfortunately, my wife only lets me keep the old bones, she says the other ones stink. I can usually hide them in my 8 year old's room, you can't tell them from the normal stink of an 8 year old's room.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

VERY nice find. Here in Belgium most of the verts that are found (in plio/miocene outcrops) are all broken because most of our outcrops consist of transported sands.

If you look at it from a distance, it looks like an alien watching you, or an aztec mask or something :D.

Nevertheless, very nice find!