Segmented Fossil, Cant Figure Out What It Is

danielp

It's definitely one of three things: a tootsie roll, a coprolite, or something else...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's definitely one of three things: a tootsie roll, a coprolite, or something else...

Auspex you on a roll today. I am voting something else

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Could it be a coprolite after eating a tootsie roll?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Could it be a coprolite after eating a tootsie roll?

No; you see, something else ate a tootsie roll and produced this coprolite. :)

In all seriousness, I have no other suggestion to throw out there than Coprolite. Maybe it rained and smoothed the form.. Maybe thousands-millions of years of weathering smoothed it out.

~Major

Turok1copy.png

ok, this thing's driving me crazy.

from the first pictures i thought it was maybe a dark calcite fossil with remaining lighter-colored matrix on it. but then the cross-section shot showed that, not only is the thing not round, but the underlying "matrix" doesn't appear to be matrix, since it has the same curvature as the dark part and it almost looks like radial lines or striations (growth lines?) showing on it.

so anyway, it's driving me crazy, and in order to deal with it, i've simply assigned the thing an identity until such time as you can have it examined by north texas/south oklahoma experts who can rule on it's beingnessitute.

but you need to hurry, because in the meantime, i'm considering it a crabesque clawpendage from a trilopillar.

but you need to hurry, because in the meantime, i'm considering it a crabesque clawpendage from a trilopillar.

Of the Austin Trilopillars of course. A very influential family in the area until being buried in an avalanche of tootsie roll wrappers.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

folks - i'm fairly sure that the duck creek formation does not have any fossils consisting partially of partially mineralized partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

and i realize some of ya'll seem to think it's ok to lick fossils to see if they're fossils, but if you start chewing them, i'm relocating to somewhere where i'm still in the top 10% of weirdness factor of the populace.

from the first pictures i thought it was maybe a dark calcite fossil with remaining lighter-colored matrix on it. but then the cross-section shot showed that, not only is the thing not round, but the underlying "matrix" doesn't appear to be matrix, since it has the same curvature as the dark part and it almost looks like radial lines or striations (growth lines?) showing on it.

so anyway, it's driving me crazy, and in order to deal with it, i've simply assigned the thing an identity until such time as you can have it examined by north texas/south oklahoma experts who can rule on it's beingnessitute.

here's a pic of the underside. it had 3 hollow sections. one for each segment.

post-1942-1249258043_thumb.jpg

that does it. i'm guessing some sort of crab claw part type thing.

oh, and she was a lefty.

Ok, it's a bit of a claw. I've seen similar pieces, mainly in the Pawpaw clays and Grayson shale.

danielp, please - for the sake of the Forum :unsure: , please try to use the "macro" camera setting and crop your photos to mostly display your fossil. Otherwise, if tracer goes crazy, then...it's like that matter / anti-matter thing...a snake eating its tail...uh, tracer using capital letters! :o

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

danielp, please - for the sake of the Forum :unsure: , please try to use the "macro" camera setting and crop your photos to mostly display your fossil. Otherwise, if tracer goes crazy, then...it's like that matter / anti-matter thing...a snake eating its tail...uh, tracer using capital letters! :o

That is the macro setting on my cam, but it sucks can't get it to focus any better. its a 7.1 megapixel camera too

Get a lot more light on the subject; some of those "hi-res" cameras can't auto-focus worth a darn in low light.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Get a lot more light on the subject; some of those "hi-res" cameras can't auto-focus worth a darn in low light.

That would prob be the problem. Thanks