Mammal Tooth From Poc

danielp

any ideas

Please take a pict of that tooth thats up in the right hand corner. I really want to see it, you might just have something cool there. Also put something in for scale if you can. Thanks!!

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Please take a pict of that tooth thats up in the right hand corner. I really want to see it, you might just have something cool there. Also put something in for scale if you can. Thanks!!

Here it is barefoot. Got any ideas now?

post-1942-1249332527_thumb.jpg

post-1942-1249332581_thumb.jpg

post-1942-1249332791_thumb.jpg

This looks like it is also just a corner piece so i figure it was prob 3 to 4 times this size whole. looks like it was made to eat meat and plants to me.

...maybe part of an unerupted molar..?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I know what I think it looks like but im still looking into it. I still need closer picts. Could just be a pig tooth............just kiddin. Lets see what other people say.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

My first thought was some type of pig, but it could possibly be from a tiny mastodon or gompothere.

My first thought was some type of pig, but it could possibly be from a tiny mastodon or gompothere.

the enamel sure does look a bit like gomph. its really small but you could be right Ron.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

I think Gomp will be a hard sell...

Compare to Pig teeth:

post-423-1249350196_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I actually came close cool! I thought maybe Pecarry for some reason when I saw it. I figured it could also just be plain pig. They had some teeth that looked like this at the fossil museum we went to.

Alfred North Whithead

I don't think this fragment is from a suid -- the enamel seems to be too complicated for that.

I don't know where Poc is . . . Texas, but is it on the coastal plain?

'JohnJ' is correct, I think. The fragment is part of an unerupted molariform tooth.

If I had collected this tooth fragment in Florida, I would be trying to decide between manatee and gomphothere. Maybe you can narrow it down using more images.

post-42-1249413283_thumb.jpgpost-42-1249413299_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I don't think this fragment is from a suid -- the enamel seems to be too complicated for that.

I don't know where Poc is . . . Texas, but is it on the coastal plain?

'JohnJ' is correct, I think. The fragment is part of an unerupted molariform tooth.

If I had collected this tooth fragment in Florida, I would be trying to decide between manatee and gomphothere. Maybe you can narrow it down using more images.

post-42-1249413283_thumb.jpgpost-42-1249413299_thumb.jpg

I agree with Harry Pristis. I think it is a piece of a gomphothere tooth. They can be that small.

Earlier this year, I saw two baby mammoth teeth that were 2-3 inches high with the roots (a photo of one was also shown in a recent issue of National Geographic).

POC flooded yesterday. My first visit, it was out of it's banks. If no more rain, how long will it take to get down to hunting level?

POC flooded yesterday. My first visit, it was out of it's banks. If no more rain, how long will it take to get down to hunting level?

It drains pretty quick. This weekend you will probably be fine. Should be some nice stuff if it got a good wash. Hmmm..maybe I should drive up there?

It drains pretty quick. This weekend you will probably be fine. Should be some nice stuff if it got a good wash. Hmmm..maybe I should drive up there?

Thanks. Maybe I'll see you there.

I would put a bet on Gomphotherium and the Germ Tooth at that which is in the very back of the mouth.

The best days are spent collecting fossils