Shell From The Glen Rose Area

Richard

The big shell came from Glen Rose TX.. I used to work at the Nuclear Plant up there, I found this on a hill side that was always eroding. Wish I could have spent more time.

The one with all the different shells was giving to me by a friend of mine so can't tell you where it came from but it's one of my favorites.

I would like to know what the big shell is called? Sorry I haven't been posting lately lots of stuff going on including a new Granddaughter!!

Thanks Richard

post-1692-1249343268_thumb.jpg

post-1692-1249343279_thumb.jpg

post-1692-1249343299_thumb.jpg

Generically speaking, it is a gastropod (a snail). Don't know the exact ID, but it could be some type of Tylostoma (watch out folks, he's trying to ID something :faint: ).

Congratulations on the Granddaughter! I have two, and they live near San Antonio :)

My personal scientific name for your big shell is "Honking Big Snail" (when I really want to impress someone with my paleo acumen, it's a "gastropod"). I will happily let someone else ID it properly, 'cuz that's as close as I can get. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i don't consider it all that easy to get positive id's on gastropod molds, but maybe something like tylostoma tumidum. a reference i have shows it to be both common and found in a number of counties, to include somervell county, which helps with the likeliness factor. size is also within ranges.

but then again, tylostoma elevatum seems to fit pretty well also.

don't know. i'd call it a tylostoma from glen rose.