Collecting Leaves In Clay

ashcraft

I am working a few sites that have leaf impressions in clay. I have gotten several pieces out, but not many whole specimens, usually because the fist sized chunks I am getting out break them up. I am looking to get cinder block sized chunks of clay out, then let it dry, and then split along bedding planes. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, is there an easy, or accepted, way to do this? The three deposits vary greatly in age, one is Cretaceous, one is Eocene, and one is Pleistocene (I think), but all are fairly dense clay that forms bedding planes when it dries.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

You might have to excavate a much larger piece and then work it down to size since it's so soft. Have you tried to wet it more in the area you are working to see if that makes it more flexible?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

You might have to excavate a much larger piece and then work it down to size since it's so soft. Have you tried to wet it more in the area you are working to see if that makes it more flexible?

The material is plenty plastic, and I can cut a shelf to it, then cut blocks out, just wondering if there is an easier way....

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen