strange green rock ID

Roberta NJ CA

IMG_0702.thumb.JPG.7677cba50b8ad6564e6f23d60ff1928f.JPG5a7bcd7b7da1b_greenrockn.thumb.JPG.06ee9080833d73e8a1ee538fa4758ef7.JPGTaking a  break from my fossils (or whatever they may turn out to be)  So I'm posting a few of my rocks I've collected over the years.  I've lived in NJ, CA, OR, and spent time in other states so I'm not always entirely sure actually where I found some of them.  This rock,  Green Rock (go figure) I believe I dug out of my seawall in Pacifica, CA.  It's odd in that the green parts are super shiny, yet matte,  and the surrounding rock/sandy areas are holey and grainy5a7bcd7b7da1b_greenrockn.thumb.JPG.06ee9080833d73e8a1ee538fa4758ef7.JPG.  If anyone knows what this is please let me know; also would you recommend I cut it open? Thanks,

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0704 (3).JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

How and more importantly why so... what do you think it is made of and why would someone want to "make" this thing?  I appreciate your input

It looks a bit like Chert as well .. California has lots of it.  Not sure about the green variety.  But if you dug it out of boulders or Infill ? placed there from a quarry nearby.

Cheers,

B

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Roberta NJ CA said:

How and more importantly why so... what do you think it is made of and why would someone want to "make" this thing?  I appreciate your input

I'm by no means an expert, but I have seen similar 'rocks'. It looks similar to the slag that comes out of my nearby steelworks, with the perfect spheres inside and the iron staining. So I'm gonna say its slag of some kind. Sorry for not elaborating first. 

@ynot might know?

• I found this Informative 5

I looked around online with your details and found a similar photo of green "slag" - thanks again for your quick input and response.

Roberta

I can think of a few rocks that it could be, but it is not quite right for any of them.

Never seen slag like this before either.

Does it have a streak?

How heavy does it feel?

How hard is it? Does it scratch with a nail, glass?

Thanks for everyone who responded.  I'll try the scratch testing that you suggested ynot.... It seems the consensus is common "slag".    I'll add this to my "concretions" crate which I'm officially naming 

"SLAG" - For some reason I find the sound of the word appropriate for such things!

I agree with slag. I believe it's olivine slag from steel production. There's a lot of it here in Pueblo aka steel city.