Find Of The Month August '09

Gatorman

Lance I think I lost that last week. Very nice find

I'll second that,very nice Echinoid!!!!!!!!

Not found in Aug, but I just got around to prepping them. Dakoticancer australis, Corsicana fm, South TX

That is an awesome display specimen Dan.It deserves its own display case ;)

A Goniophorus scotti echinoid:

Ooooowwhhh! Nice find, Lance.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

These are my best finds this month . B)B)B):)

Is that rhino in the first picture worthy? :drool: Man, one of these days I'd love a rhino tooth :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Date: August 15th, 2009

Place: Jungle of Gigantism - Texas (you know better than to ask)

Expedition team: JohnJ and danwoehr

Objective: Pleistocene fossils

Discovery: On a small secluded waterway in the Jungle, we watched a log submerge with purpose...it was no log. Big reptiles were only a hint of the giant to come. Shortly after, we hit the bank and Dan offered, "you want upstream or downstream?" Words he later said would influence a fossil career.

I made my way downstream and found a nice sized bone wedged in the gravel. It was mammal, but unusual in shape. I marked it with my paddle and continued to the small end of the ledge and looked over toward the water...and there it was. A plate sized dome edged from the face of the small bluff..... (Got to go pack for another trip. The rest of this story will have to wait...and it's a wild one.) OBJECTIVE ACHEIVED.

The dome

post-420-1251481745_thumb.jpg

Blood in the mud - Dan

post-420-1251481798_thumb.jpg

Kneeling on a rock <grimace>

post-420-1251481852_thumb.jpg

MAMMOTH HUMERUS!

post-420-1251481891_thumb.jpg

48.5 INCHES LONG

post-420-1251481924_thumb.jpg

Assembly complete

post-420-1251481958_thumb.jpg

Uncommon to find whole in Texas

post-420-1251482037_thumb.jpg

MUUUUHAAAAAHAAAAA! WOOOOOHOOOO!

Later.....(thanks Brock; thanks Harry)

Well....

You certainly have a leg up on the competition!post-423-1251483768_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Woah dude,that's a monster bone!!! I guess I was a little off with my guess :faint:

Great find John.

115 LBS of pure mammoth behemothism........and I even customized it with a nice 3 inch chip splintered by my trusty rock hammer......hehehe

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

115 LBS of pure mammoth behemothism........and I even customized it with a nice 3 inch chip splintered by my trusty rock hammer......hehehe

Accuracy comes with age...Just ask John :P

A Goniophorus scotti echinoid:

Lance ahhhh really nice urchin. What state or country do you collect it in? Really sweet I love it. :wub:

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Really great mammoth leg bone quite a good find I must say. Hoooo ahh

The best days are spent collecting fossils

MUUUUHAAAAAHAAAAA! WOOOOOHOOOO! is right! WOW!

QUOTE (lawooten @ Aug 28 2009, 05:35 PM) Lance ahhhh really nice urchin. What state or country do you collect it in? Really sweet I love it. wub.gif

It was found Aug. 22 here in Fort Worth, Texas.

A reminder (while pics are still uploading):

2009-08-27-001-100.jpg 2009-08-27-008-100.jpg

what i like most is that in the pictures, john looks a bit sheepish, like he doesn't really know what to do with that thing now that's he's brought it home and is standing next to it and my, but it's biiig!! <said kinda like steve martin said "it's big" about the plant in little shop of horrors>

Being the last day of the month, I will throw my find of the month in the hat. Bear in mind that this looked like nothing, but I brought it home anyway. :)

I wanted to have it prepped, but I have a lot to learn about that subject. It's gonna look cool when it's done!

Xiphactinus skull plate.

post-1159-12517579994026_thumb.jpg

post-1159-12517580240536_thumb.jpg

As you can see, we are missing some pictures. It would benifit us greatly if those wishing to participate would post a couple pictures of their bestfind again. Please include the scientific name or if not known the common name of your fossil will the pictures. You may also want to consider providing a general location or formation.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

As you can see, we are missing some pictures. It would benifit us greatly if those wishing to participate would post a couple pictures of their bestfind again. Please include the scientific name or if not known the common name of your fossil will the pictures. You may also want to consider providing a general location or formation.

I've been trying to see JohnJ's pics all day!

OK; Here's a rewind of my previous post:

Date: August 15th, 2009

Place: Jungle of Gigantism - Texas (you know better than to ask)

Objective: Pleistocene fossils

Discovery: On a small secluded waterway in the Jungle, we watched a log submerge with purpose...it was no log. Big reptiles were only a hint of the giant to come. Shortly after, we hit the bank and Dan offered, "you want upstream or downstream?" Words he later said would influence a fossil career.

I made my way downstream and found a nice sized bone wedged in the gravel. It was mammal, but unusual in shape. I marked it with my paddle and continued to the small end of the ledge and looked over toward the water...and there it was. A plate sized dome edged from the face of the small bluff..... (Got to go pack for another trip. The rest of this story will have to wait...and it's a wild one.) OBJECTIVE ACHEIVED.

The dome

post-420-12517672152628_thumb.jpg

Blood in the mud - Dan

post-420-12517672927448_thumb.jpg

Kneeling on a rock <grimace>

post-420-1251767302214_thumb.jpg

COLUMBIAN MAMMOTH HUMERUS!

post-420-12517673115063_thumb.jpg

48.5 INCHES LONG

post-420-12517673286201_thumb.jpg

Assembly complete

post-420-12517673452113_thumb.jpg

Uncommon to find whole in Texas

post-420-12517673620275_thumb.jpg

Later.....(thanks Brock; thanks Harry)

August has been a great month of major discoveries for me. Here's another one. I found this echinoid on August 1st. It is a rare, unidentified echinoid from the Upper Cretaceous Eagle Ford Group / Upper Turonian of Central Texas. It is only the second one I've found (both from the same site). I found the first one in mid-July.

It appears to be a species from the Saleniidae Family. At present, I cannot find any references to anything like this being found in Texas. The scale is in millimeters.

post-420-12517717456439_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517717653986_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517717883862_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517718075917_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517719224676_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517719783817_thumb.jpg

Since it's still August, I should include this 40" Parapuzosia americana I found on 8/08 (hey, who knows when you're going to hit a fossil drought). On this trip, I took young Weston and his Dad (danwoehr) to one of my favorite locations in the Upper Cretaceous, Austin Chalk (Santonian) - Ammonite bluff. This location has produced large sections of P. americana in the past. I caught this one before the weather.

post-420-12517731571035_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517731268661_thumb.jpg

post-420-12517731087112_thumb.jpg

WOW! That ammonite is huge, John! How much did it weigh?

That's a beautiful tooth, megateeth!

John,that's like tubercle overload.Man that thing is different!!!!!That Ammo is huge too.