North Sulphur River

CreekCrawler

Hello, I found this fragment that appears to be fish.I've seen this Palmation "for lack of a better word" somewhere before.Has anyone seen this type of skeletal piece before?There also appears to be a couple of predation scars on it.

post-417-1249617012_thumb.jpgpost-417-1249617042_thumb.jpgpost-417-1249617067_thumb.jpg

The piece measures 4"L x 2.5"w x 1/4" thick

thanks

Cretaceous turtle plastron.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I have never seen it before but it sure looks interesting. It will look forward to seeing if anyone can give you information about it. Nice find.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Barry that's a nice find, especially with the tooth scars. Check out Finsley's book in the color plates.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ok thanks, what was throwing me off about it being turtle was that I was thinking Land Tortoise at first. I was like how in the world did this land tortoise have what look like shark teeth scars on it. Gotcha!

thanks y'all

Barry that's a nice find, especially with the tooth scars. Check out Finsley's book in the color plates.

Hee-Hee, I loaned all my Tx books out for the moment.

I'm with you. My guess was scull fragment. Turtle, who'd a thunk! I know nutin' about turtles. Again, I have learned something new. Thanks to all y'all turtle aficionados for the enlightenment. :faint:

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

:D

HAHAHA

that was amazing.

Nice turtle piece! I would never have guessed. I woulda said fish, too... (Hey.. got the marine part right! ;-) )

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Guest Smilodon

To do is to be - Socrates

To be is to do - Anon.

Do be do be do - Frank Sinatra

Rimshot

"Here till Thursday, folks."

Sry, couldn't help myself.

Cool I was stumped even though I collect modern and fossil turtle shells. By the time I find the modern ones there is only shell left. Really cool find and I like that site you posted I will but it in my favorites.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

Actually there was a turtle that was excavated from the bed of the Sulphur River. When they turned the plaster jacket over there was ANOTHER turtle underneath!

Belieeeeve it or Not!

Actually there was a turtle that was excavated from the bed of the Sulphur River. When they turned the plaster jacket over there was ANOTHER turtle underneath!

Belieeeeve it or Not!

Cool, I wonder if they were in the process of making baby turtles when...................................... :drool: