Where To Find Plastic Cotton-filled Specimen Boxes?

Fossilcollector

Here's something I've come across at UKGE (no cotton, though):

http://www.ukge.co.uk/UK/specimen-boxes.asp

I'll keep my eyes open.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ive seen people just get a sheet of plastic foam, (kinda like styrafoam, except bendable, and doesnt make a mess)... and just cut the squares to fit the boxed... it seems it would be a type of "padding" for mailers or other packaging.

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Ive seen people just get a sheet of plastic foam, (kinda like styrafoam, except bendable, and doesnt make a mess)... and just cut the squares to fit the boxed... it seems it would be a type of "padding" for mailers or other packaging.

I use this stuff, you can usually find it in boxes when you buy appliances (to keep them from rubbing)

It works great, you don't even have to cut it just push the open end of the square box on it and wiggle a bit and it will cut a square in the perfect size.

I use this stuff, you can usually find it in boxes when you buy appliances (to keep them from rubbing)

It works great, you don't even have to cut it just push the open end of the square box on it and wiggle a bit and it will cut a square in the perfect size.

yeah! thats the stuff I was talking about!

Ive never used it, so I wasnt quite sure where it came from... haha. so all you need to do is buy a brand new wooden desk or cabinet, and use the fancy padding! (then you can display them/store them in the cabinet!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

I got mine at a "Hobby Lobby" store. Google hobbybobby.com to see if there is a store near you.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Look at scientific supply houses, ward is my favorite. Also look at Ben Meadows, it is a supplier of material for conservation/resource departments, they have alot of cool stuff also.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Harry Pristis sells plastic boxes sometimes. He uses them for his own collection of small fossils, particularly shark teeth.

Harry is currently offering two sizes: 2-1/8" x 1-5/8 x 3/8 (you can change out lids to make these 1/4" or 1/2" deep)

and 2-7/8" x 2" x 3/4" (change out lids to 1/2" or 1" deep).

You have to go to your local fabric store for cotton batting or polyester foam.

Harry does not give these away, but he's not greedy. He does trade plastic boxes for a good old bottle. He's a sweetheart of a guy to deal with.

post-42-1249681828_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Harry Pristis sells plastic boxes sometimes. He uses them for his own collection of small fossils, particularly shark teeth.

Harry is currently offering two sizes: 2-1/8" x 1-5/8 x 3/8 (you can change out lids to make these 1/4" or 1/2" deep)

Harry does not give these away, but he's not greedy. He does trade plastic boxes for a good old bottle. He's a sweetheart of a guy to deal with.

post-42-1249681828_thumb.jpg

Nicholas thinks that's a pretty reasonable offer that Harry is bringing forward.

• 1 month later...

Veo,

Can't help you on this (though it looks like others are). Just wanted to comment the examples you posted are kinda cool.

Be true to the reality you create.

• 4 weeks later...

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Harry is currently offering two sizes:

2-1/8" x 1-5/8 x 3/8 (you can change out lids to make these 1/4" or 1/2" deep)

post-42-12559775577547_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 2 weeks later...

Could try Ebay?

It's where I've bought a few from and I usually get them for a decent price. For the cotton I just steal borrow my mams cotton swabs and pad the box out with with a double layer of tissue cut to fit the box placed on top. Keeps the item safe from harm without the view of it getting obstructed at all by sinking into/getting tangled up in the cotton.