Branch/stem From Wv?

Irradiatus

So, I'm moving to Pittsburgh. This week my wife and I are making three back-to-back trips between NC and PA.

We just finished the first trip moments ago. Luckily, I convinced my wife to let me spend five minutes looking at a roadcut next to a Burger King in the middle of nowhere, West Virginia (along Hwy 19 I believe).

I found this pretty cool fossil embedded among some very very tiny and thin coal seams in the roadcut.

Can someone ID it? I am utterly ignorant on botanical fossils (save some lepidodendrons).

As a bonus, I have also attached my first meg and a chub I pulled from the Aurora, NC spoil piles this week :)

post-1850-1249770873_thumb.jpg

post-1850-1249770952_thumb.jpg

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

That's a nice Calamites stem. Congrats on it and the Meg!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Awesome!

Based on all the coal seams I could see in the surrounding layers as I drove through there, I figured it was probably carboniferous.

I can't tell you how much mental anguish it caused me to drive for hour upon hour through nothing but massive roadcuts in WV, unable to stop and do some hunting. But I was driving a giant Penske truck with a (rightfully) impatient wife...

How strange is it that finding a tiny piece of plant fossil made the entire 24 hour trip worthwhile?

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

Question: is it pronounced with "mites" like the insects, or more like "mit-ese"?

Question: is it pronounced with "mites" like the insects, or more like "mit-ese"?

I've always said the latter (but then again. I have a reader's vocabulary).

Here's Wiki, for your delectation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calamites

<Welcome to the world of "form species", where different parts of the same plant were described and genera and species erected without knowledge of their relationships>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Confused!

Okay, to quote Wiki:

"Calamites correctly refers only to casts of the stem of Carboniferous/Permian sphenophytes, and as such is a form genus of little taxonomic value."

It also lists the other "organ taxa," meaning genus/species names given to various parts found fossilized and not identified as part of a unified species.

So has no one ever formally given a "correct" genus name for the entire organism? (since Calamites isn't "correct" according to the above)

i.e. has no one officially united the organ taxa under a single genus (if not specific species)?

This all reminds me of "Anomalocaris" from the Burgess Shale (parts originally identified, entertainingly, as various other organisms - incorrectly).

anomalocaris.jpg

Docdutronc is authoring a book that will make it possible to sort through all the confusing taxonomy of the upper Carboniferous plants. I am first in line for a copy :)

Guest solius symbiosus

Calamites is a general term to describe the stalk of sphenopsids. Describing the leaves is a bit more specific, e,g; Annularia, Asterophyllites, ... ect.

Hi

It is calamites stem ,the colour is funny ,look Calamites from my aera ( in compression ) and actual Equisetum ,closest to the existing plants of these fossil plants of the Carboniferous period ...these plants are articulated and each node corresponds to the start of a new branch...,these equisetum live near my bassin and like water ,like in carboniferous period !!!!

post-967-1249815417_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249815610_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249815735_thumb.jpg

post-967-1249815760_thumb.jpg