Is This A Humongous Toe Or Am I Dreamin'?

tracer

i've found a few phalanges in my day. is this one, cuz it's kinda shaped like one, and doesn't seem to fit in any other category of bone i can think of? there seems to be enough vestiges of cortical bone on each surface to indicate that the shape seen is more or less the shape of the original before mother nature was mean to it. the back of it (yes, i'm being presumptuous) doesn't have any articulating grooves or anything, but i guess if i were a critter with a toe that big, i'd just stomp on stuff and not much worry about how my toes went.

anyway, as always, if this is a giant toe of some extinct coolness, then i found it. if it's just a big worn deceptive piece of a cow, tj found it. do not believe otherwise, no matter what sort of snappy comeback he may throw out if he reads this. and no, it was not filched from the reject pile in dan's yard. i never hit that place twice in one week. wait, um, lemmee get back to ya...

post-488-1249872995_thumb.jpg

left side view

post-488-1249873009_thumb.jpg

right side view

post-488-1249873056_thumb.jpg

back end (proximal) view

post-488-1249873041_thumb.jpg

bottom view

post-488-1249873028_thumb.jpg

top view

Could it be a calcaneum???

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Without a doubt it is bone you can tell from your pics but how about the other end is it unworn like pic three also? That would tell a little more like was it broke at that other end and if complete on that end like pic three it looks good for toe bone but the curve in it may not fit into toe bone. Need to know about other end.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

I can't tell either due to stream wear....can you cut one off a still living beast?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."