Hey Auspex, This Bone's For You (jk, Jk)

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

I really don't expect anyone to guess this one except maybe Auspex.

That's hint #1

#2 it's extinct

#3 Pleistocene

#4 the specimen now permanently resides @ Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History (for a reason)

#5 Only found at one site in the world until I found this 2,154 miles away (but who's counting)

Closest answer gets a "DVPS ex-Presidential Attaboy or Attagirl"

post-2027-1249926616_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon
Titanis walleri partial ulna.

A thousand pardons (it was so long ago) - yes, right proximal ulna - you get an Att but not an Attaboy just yet.

Teratorn?

post-423-1249937282_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon
Teratorn?

post-423-1249937282_thumb.jpg

You are correct, Sir.

Cathartornis gracilis. Only found at LaBrea and pretty rare there. I found my piece of ulna on Apollo Beach in Florida. Due to variance of bird bones, there is not quite enough for new species determination although it probably is, since it may be 1 million years older than the LaBrea specimens. So sayeth Kenneth Campbell.

Here is your Attaboy.

You are correct, Sir.

Cathartornis gracilis. Only found at LaBrea and pretty rare there. I found my piece of ulna on Apollo Beach in Florida. Due to variance of bird bones, there is not quite enough for new species determination although it probably is, since it may be 1 million years older than the LaBrea specimens. So sayeth Kenneth Carpenter.

Here is your Attaboy.

As I was correct in only a limited way, put an asterisk in the record books.

My guess was largely based on your clues; morphology only played a roll in not ruling out the family. I'd like to think that, had I spent more time actually confirming, I might have deduced C. gracilis.

Maybe a larger sample size will emerge (new finds/old collections) which will allow a new species to be erected. It would take only one dedicated researcher (with funding and access)...

Congrats on your find, BTW!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Smilodon
As I was correct in only a limited way, put an asterisk in the record books.

My guess was largely based on your clues; morphology only played a roll in not ruling out the family. I'd like to think that, had I spent more time actually confirming, I might have deduced C. gracilis.

Maybe a larger sample size will emerge (new finds/old collections) which will allow a new species to be erected. It would take only one dedicated researcher (with funding and access)...

Congrats on your find, BTW!

Ken Campbell the head birdman at La County is reexamining all known Cathartornis material and he identified it and declined on new species even though he though it was. - just not enough to go on (sigh!). But it will get written up someday based on range extension alone.