T. Rex integument?

ReaverMachete

• New Members

I am in the process of creating scientifically accurate extinct plush animals, and I had a question in regards to the integument of Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I know there is evidence supporting the scaly covering of T. Rex from various impressions from the Wyrex specimen, but I am unsure of the location, size and implication of these impressions. We want to make our animals (while made more 'cute') to be accurate to the scientific finds at the time of their production.

However, I must admit a large attraction of the T. Rex plush is that it will have a feathery covering on it's body. Even though the feathers are highly speculative I think the idea of feathers on a T. Rex will get some people to question what they know and hopefully delve more into the science behind these creatures rather than just take recreations at face value.

So my question in short is this: Where do we KNOW T. Rex had scales, how large were these scales, and whats the maximum size and location of coverage we could accurately speculate T. Rex could have had feathers without ignoring the facts?

Thanks a ton for your answers and views :)

• I found this Informative 1

Hello, and a very warm welcome to TFF from Morocco.:)

Good luck with your project. 

This thread may be of some use to you.

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Welcome to The Fossil Forum!

Beyond the current conjectures regarding the appearance of Tyrannosaurus rex, there actually isn't any direct evidence that T. rex had feathers at all.  'Protofeathers' MAY have been present in a basal tyrannosaurid (Dilong paradoxus), but to assume that they were also present in T. rex is just a guess.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 1

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library