Kayaking On The Bay With Phoenixflood

bmorefossil

Well as always Russ and I take very long trips, I dont think we have been on a trip shorter than 6 miles. This day we decided to take the kayak out and head down the bay. We hit a few spots along the way, we each found alot of hemis. I found a nice peccary molar and some makos. When we made it do our final destination Russ came away with a sweet 2.5" meg and a nice mako which when i looked at it seemed to be retroflex. I found a really nice mako and then looked in the water about 10 feet away and found the most beat up meg I have ever found..... it would have been 4 1/2", so when I picked it up I laughed and showed Russ. I had a kick out of it. We ran into a family along the way and they had found a few nice things. One ok sized meg and a croc tooth. I found a marlin vert shortly after talking with them and Russ found a large section of sand dollar that I hope to prep for him.

post-1554-1250108171_thumb.jpg

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Sounds like fun - -something I want to try. I have a couple of kayaks, just need to find someone who wants to go to the same places I want to visit, and can go when I can.

Did you put-in in a public place? Did you take-out at the same place, or did you run a shuttle? How was the current?

Guest N.AL.hunter

Why didn't you kick the family out of the way? You are getting too kind in your "old" age!! That meg sure does look like it would have been a good sized one.

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your "beat up" meg was... that tooth would make a very decorative door wedge stop ;)

nice stuff!!!

post-986-1250110932_thumb.jpg

haha it sure would but i think my mom would have to paint it first or something

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Sounds like fun - -something I want to try. I have a couple of kayaks, just need to find someone who wants to go to the same places I want to visit, and can go when I can.

Did you put-in in a public place? Did you take-out at the same place, or did you run a shuttle? How was the current?

always use public places, most you have to pay. Its a two person kayak so we both just got right on in and headed out, the current depends on the wind really that day it was dead calm to start off then the winds picked up, we had to run her ashore a few times to get the water out but in the end we made it back to the truck safe and a bit wet.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Why didn't you kick the family out of the way? You are getting too kind in your "old" age!! That meg sure does look like it would have been a good sized one.

well i was thinking about it, i had a hammer in hand but then out came a little girl from behind daddy and i lowered my weapon..... what a shame

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Thanks. One of my kayaks is a 2-person sit-on-top, and I thought that it might be ideal for wandering around down there as one can jump on and off easily to check out interesting stops. Of course, it doesn't track as well as my 1-person.

I usually run rivers where we leave most cars at the take-out and drive one car to the put-in, but the boats we do rivers in don't do upstream very well, so it's a necessity. When I've bopped around the ocean and bays, I don't use those boats (except for wave-riding) and just return to the put-in. That's how one ends up with more than one kayak....

Yeah, I don't think we have had a trip shorter than 6 miles :faint:

This trip we paddled the kayak like crazy and hit some of the spots along the bay. We found some pretty cool places where you could just see great amounts of stone with pectens in them.

This is the best stuff I found.

post-671-1250130254_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I don't think we have had a trip shorter than 6 miles :faint:

This trip we paddled the kayak like crazy and hit some of the spots along the bay. We found some pretty cool places where you could just see great amounts of stone with pectens in them.

This is the best stuff I found.

the meg looks better in person

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

The finds and meg look great online too!

I am thinking you find a lot more if you can boat to more

remote locations, less picked over do you find?

Welcome to the forum!

The finds and meg look great online too!

I am thinking you find a lot more if you can boat to more

remote locations, less picked over do you find?

Yep, at least is was true for that day. But, I have been places where people have already walked the beach all day and come back with some really cool things. One time I found a Ocean going sunfish beak and a path mako over and 1 and 1/2 inches at a very frequented public beach late in the day.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.