Carboniferous Insect Wing?

usaman65

Hi-

I found this fossil about a year ago in eastern Pa. It is in carboniferous shale, pennsylvannian period, 300 m/yo. I thought it was a leaf, but the vein structure is odd. i send pics to yale goldman (amber expert) his opinion is that it is an insect wing. many people tell me the same thing. BTW, the base is covered with rock..

What do you think?

should i send it to someone?

kev

post-39-1250108112_thumb.jpg

post-39-1250108151_thumb.jpg

That's very odd...

Doesn't really look like a leaf, doesn't really look like a wing, pretty much has to be one or the other...

What are the dimensions of the impression?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's very odd...

Doesn't really look like a leaf, doesn't really look like a wing, pretty much has to be one or the other...

What are the dimensions of the impression?

I think that is a linopteris leaf , veins are very tortuous like the first photo where there is evidence of predation....

the Carboniferous cockroaches and other insects still have veins that are ulnar, costal, median and anal

I do not see anything that ...

bruno

post-967-1250110729_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250110753_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250110778_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250110849_thumb.jpg

I think that is a linopteris leaf , veins are very tortuous...

Tortuous is right! They seemed almost random, but your picture clears that up.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

usaman65.... Here are a coupler upper carb insect wings to compare it to and Im pretty sure Bruno's spot on with the ID, he's never failed yet ... ;) .....The veination is not vastly different from todays insects, and the second one still has some of its colour pigment intact, that has stained the nodule as it has formed around the insect.... The pigment seems to form or create eliptical shaped patterns on the wings....

Hope these help.....

post-1630-1250171188_thumb.jpg post-1630-1250171229_thumb.jpg

post-1630-1250171306_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)