Palatine Bone?

Frank Menser

rmull found this at the same place I found the palatine bone from an Encodus. This looks similar, but is twice the size. Possibly the same bone me thinks, but is it the same species?

post-1313-1250197361_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1250197389_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1250197419_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1250197444_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1250197469_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Nice Encodus bone....To bad the whole tooth was'nt there ...... they all most never are on such large specimen's ........ That portion came from the upper front jaw section.......Nice

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Thanks!

Y'know before I started finding these I never fully realised just how big Encodus got. Is there a max size for this species?

Hi Frank I believe they grew up to about 5 feet..... There is a guy that must have the best collection of Encodus that will rival any museum in the northeast that i ever seen....... huge bone sections with fully enameled 3 to 3-1/2 in" teeth on them.

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

All I can say is I'm glad I'm not swiming with them... :blink:

Thats for sure...... they were vicious, not so little buggers.......

Tony

post-1313-1250434640_thumb.jpg

This is the encodus material we have found (minus the above palatine bone). The larger tooth on the upper right I am not sure of. Is it Enchodus, or Xiphactinus audax? There are fine lengthwise striations on it and it is more 'bulky' than the other teeth.

By any chance are you refering to Mike Everheart? He has a really good webpage devoted to Enchodus.

I know Mike Everheart ....no I'm talking about Ralph Johnson........Now that man has the best fossil collection You will ever want to see......He has stuff that will make you drooolllllll.... :drool::drool::drool: .......I asked him one day what is he going to do with his collection when he meets that fossil god in the sky...... and he told me that all the shell fossils is going to the natural history museum in new york and the rest I think he said is going to the new jersey museum......an Amazing collection....... he has found stuff that one one else has found......Yet.

Tony