S. Carolina Horse?

davehunt

Hello Fossil Superheros!

I found this tooth while diving for shark teeth in the Cooper River (S Carolina). I'm thinking horse, but not certain, and certainly don't have any idea about genus or species. Any help would be appreciated. Happy to provide other angles if that will help.

Dave

post-1886-1250355376_thumb.jpg

post-1886-1250355369_thumb.jpg

post-1886-1250355361_thumb.jpg

Guest Smilodon

Hi Dave,

Equus, pleistocene, lower jaw. I'm sure there is a fancy name for its position in the jaw but I don't remember it.

Hope to see you in Nebraska next year.

Hi Dave,

Equus, pleistocene, lower jaw. I'm sure there is a fancy name for its position in the jaw but I don't remember it.

The fancy term for its position is third lower molar or "m3". This appears to be a tooth from a senile horse - note how low the crown is and how the plications are erased in the dished-out occlusal surface.

post-42-1250359408_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest Smilodon
The fancy term for its position is third lower molar or "m3". This appears to be a tooth from a senile horse - note how low the crown is and how the plications are erased in the dished-out occlusal surface.

post-42-1250359408_thumb.jpg

Harry,

I know m3 but isn't there a fancy name for "last tooth in the jaw?" I seem to remember something, (see signature)

Thanks Don and Harry.

Don, definitely looking forward to Nebraska.

Harry, thanks for the diagram and the comment about a "senile" horse. That explains a lot to me. I kept comparing to other Equus photos I would find, but they all seemed to have more "tooth" to them, so it was making me doubt what it was.

Those photos must have been of foolish young horses, not a wise old horse like this!

Dave