Tj's Stumper

tracer

Guest Smilodon
Hey Guys,

I've seen some broken mammuthus/mammut/loxodonta crania, and I don't see any reason it couldn't be proboscidean; these skulls (i.e. around the basicranium and occipital condyles) have very thin outer margins, even thinner than this specimen.

Bobby

But while the cortex of the skull bone may get thinner towards the condyles, I believe the bone gets more dense and less hollow.

wow. let a thread "cook" overnight and come back, and it can be pretty funny.

i think we're going with proboscidean. primarily just because it's black.

thanks for the input, folks!

p.s. to travis - i checked its status, and the tracking device we've got on your wheels doesn't show to be anywhere near where that bone came from, so you're definitely not getting warm...

p.p.s. - the sand/gravel box that we stage our in-situ pictures in is in tj's room upstairs. the gravel came from wal-mart.

p.p.p.s. - it's not really gravel - it's those little gourmet jelly beans.

Guest Smilodon
wow. let a thread "cook" overnight and come back, and it can be pretty funny.

i think we're going with proboscidean. primarily just because it's black.

thanks for the input, folks!

p.s. to travis - i checked its status, and the tracking device we've got on your wheels doesn't show to be anywhere near where that bone came from, so you're definitely not getting warm...

p.p.s. - the sand/gravel box that we stage our in-situ pictures in is in tj's room upstairs. the gravel came from wal-mart.

p.p.p.s. - it's not really gravel - it's those little gourmet jelly beans.

Tracer,

I'm really surprised you didn't consider BBBBBBBBB, Bison. (btw, that's what it most likely is. but you didn't hear that from me))

thanks worthy. the skull frag i found is the almost exact same thickness as yours and has the same texture. thanks for the replies everyone.