Psaronius Leaf Cushion

Shensley

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone would have any reference material on psaronius leaf cushions, photos or descriptions. I've been working on an identification of some specimens found in my area and have hit dead ends on this.

Thanks

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone would have any reference material on psaronius leaf cushions, photos or descriptions. I've been working on an identification of some specimens found in my area and have hit dead ends on this.

Thanks

Hi I 'm bruno from france ; Psaronius generally denotes the trunks of tree ferns of the genus Pecopteris for leaf scars (branches), look in Megaphyton and Hagiophyton, Caulopteris ,Ptychopteris ... the difficulty in paleobotany is that the state of conservation gives different names for one plant ...I'd like to see pictures of your specimen , whether we speak of the same plant..,look to my plates

best regard

bruno

post-967-1250439485_thumb.jpg

ptychopteris_1.pdf

pl_hagiophyton.pdf

Hello Bruno and thanks for your quick response.

Those photos are excellent. I'll give more of a background of these trees with photos. They're from eastern Ohio, pennsylvanian aged. Most likely from the conemaugh or monongahela group. Samples have been sent to various local experts without success. I am currently working with the Pittsburgh Post Gazette in trying to find an identification for these trees.

I had originally thought these to be branch scars and disregarded fern trees as a possibility until someone from Ohio State U. suggested they could be from Psaronius however; their spacing is farther apart than what you see on a typical specimen. The cushions measure a uniform 4 inches long on every specimen gathered.

Numerous calamites, lepidodendron, and syrningodendron have also been found in the same area.

post-2109-1250442157_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250442213_thumb.jpg

I think you find stem arborescent ferns ,Pecopterid trunks ,which has been described like the Hagiophyton, these trunks have two rows of scars opposite, staggered,architecture and the wearing of petioles (branches )is archaic, in two lines opposite, in french we say "distique" ," I do not know the word in English, is a lineage that expire at the end of the Carboniferous. Megaphyton is also known in France,It is a variant whose scars are much closer than Hagiophyton , the museum of Lille in France has a trunk similar to your specimen.

There is another long line of tree ferns whose branches are connected helically around the trunk ( polystetique) .It is Caulopteris and internal mold Ptychopteris, this line has probably given our modern tree ferns ....

Best regards

Bruno

See description by doctor Crookall from U.K .

post-967-1250444437_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250444469_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250444490_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250444513_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250445329_thumb.jpg

Hi Shensley

Here are two plates in book "Annales de la Société Géologique du Nord " whose I am a member ,in 1947 professor Corsin from France has published on the trunks of the genus Hagiophyton, I think you have good items for your articles, later send me a copy I would be interested, I'm just a passionate collector in Paleobotany coal....

best regards ;);)

bruno

post-967-1250446454_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250446500_thumb.jpg

Hi Shensley

Here are two plates in book "Annales de la Société Géologique du Nord " whose I am a member ,in 1947 professor Corsin from France has published on the trunks of the genus Hagiophyton, I think you have good items for your articles, later send me a copy I would be interested, I'm just a passionate collector in Paleobotany coal....

best regards ;);)

bruno

Bruno,

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to find and post that information and photos. It has been a great help. The leaf cushion description of Hagiophyton sounds like a perfect match for these specimens. Size, description, arrangement, it all fits.

Here, Ill post a couple photos of lepidodendron and calamites I've found in the same area since you are into paleobotany and coal deposits. Enjoy :)

Stacie

post-2109-1250484416_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250484791_thumb.jpg

My word; that is a beautiful Calamites!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My exact thought when I found it. (and thank you)

Hi

Your plant fossils are superb, they have many similarities with the specimens that I found here in northern France, I posted many posts on the fossil flora, but unfortunately there are few fans fossil flora, I am pleased to share with an American colleague....you calamites looks like a start of a stem...

post-967-1250528946_thumb.jpg

post-967-1250528982_thumb.jpg

Great flora pics, keep 'em coming!

Bruno, I always enjoy your carboniferous posts! Don't be discouraged by all these Texans and shark tooth lovers. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Hello again,

Glad to see someone finding similar specimens as I am. It'll make it even more interesting to compare our finds.

I've found some other interesting calamites at a few other local sites. One in particular being a complete 3d cast with some bark present. I'll post a photo. For some reason, its been a favorite of mine.

Another is just a nice preservation and typical of the numerous calamites from a site near me in Pennsylvania.

I apologize if this isn't the proper area to post these. :blush:

Stacie

post-2109-1250569202_thumb.jpg

post-2109-1250569375_thumb.jpg

Wonderful! :wub:

Docdutronc, RomanK, and now you have rekindled my childhood love and fascination with "coal swamps"; I can see myself "branching" out with my collection :) .

(Stay tuned!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, you need to tell me all about where you found these and lead me to the site! :) Great looking fossils!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Wow, you need to tell me all about where you found these and lead me to the site! :) Great looking fossils!

I'll show you mine if you show me yours ... :blink:

Seriously though, I'd be glad to show you some sites in my area.

Hello again,

Glad to see someone finding similar specimens as I am. It'll make it even more interesting to compare our finds.

I've found some other interesting calamites at a few other local sites. One in particular being a complete 3d cast with some bark present. I'll post a photo. For some reason, its been a favorite of mine.

Another is just a nice preservation and typical of the numerous calamites from a site near me in Pennsylvania.

I apologize if this isn't the proper area to post these. :blush:

Stacie

Hi Stacie

Marvellous ,I suggest you create another post, I think in this section we are "irrelevant", we could compare our specimens, in member collections section , "Carboniferous flora from north euramerica continent" for example....

Bruno, I always enjoy your carboniferous posts! Don't be discouraged by all these Texans and shark tooth lovers. :)

Hey, Bruno, I am a Texan (and a shark tooth lover) and I am a big fan of your fossils. We can't all live in Pennsylvania (fossil plant paradise and the land of Shamalama). :P I guess I need to make a trip up there!

There are plant fossils in Texas (besides petrified wood). Hopefully I will find some one day.

Ha ha, yes, it is always good to see a good variety of fossils. I have learned much by reading this post. I am always impressed by the knowlegde and the kindness of the members here.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Wonderful! :wub:

Docdutronc, RomanK, and now you have rekindled my childhood love and fascination with "coal swamps"; I can see myself "branching" out with my collection :) .

(Stay tuned!)

Wow, the Bird Guy is expanding his horizons! :faint: