Brachiopod Question Pictures

fosceal2

Cool beans!

If that brach is silica, you might be able to etch out more detail with acid.

Check with Shamalama, he's done it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Okay, it's an odd breaking point on the fossil... kind of an diagonal view rather then horizontal thru the hinge or vertical thru the shell. I think you are definitely seeing the fossilized remnants of a Lophophore. The fact that there is symmetry visible adds credence as well. Is this a Mississippian or Pennsylvanian era brach perchance? it looks like a Dictyoclostus or some other Productidae family genus.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

HMMMM... well I would call it a HWY66 brachiopod from West VA. :)

Sorry Shamalama I don't know.

Fosceal

PS I did soak it in vinegar and then neutralize it but the limestones I get seem to have a mind of their own about cracking.

Oh and Auspex- It is not silica I have destroyed enough of my fossils that I am sure of that! I keep hoping I will get to do one the easy way! Drop it in acid then pick out the nice clean fossil.. instead of neutralize the acid and look dejectedly at my new sludge. oh well

Fosceal