Iron "blooms" Staring To Show Up On Old Specimens

John K

I recently went through my collection, and noticed that on several "older" specimens, tiny "blooms" of iron were starting to form. I first thought they were dust, but they aren't - they don't easily brush off:

TrilobiteII.jpg

TrilobiteDouble.jpg

I'm not sure what to do, especially with these trilobites, which are relatively delicate.

Edited by John K

Do you think it could be oxidation of latent iron in the matrix?

Enclosed storage with silica gel packs might help...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Do you think it could be oxidation of latent iron in the matrix?

Enclosed storage with silica gel packs might help...

that's my guess, too. I'll throw some silica packs in with them.

is there anything that will take them off without marring the specimen?

Another option is to seal them, it is relatively permanent. I use the cheapest spray on clearcoat that wal-mart carries, it is thinner, so you get better penetration.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Future Floor Polish link: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I'd read about sealing fossils with Future on this site but was unable to find it in the store. This article tells why, but the bottom line is that they've changed the name. In the USA, it's "Pledge with Future Shine" and I found it at Walmart for about $5.60. Apparently modelers all over the world like this product as well, and the article gives its various new names and places to purchase it in many countries. Which reminds me, I have a project to do....

Future Floor Polish link: http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

I'd read about sealing fossils with Future on this site but was unable to find it in the store. This article tells why, but the bottom line is that they've changed the name. In the USA, it's "Pledge with Future Shine" and I found it at Walmart for about $5.60. Apparently modelers all over the world like this product as well, and the article gives its various new names and places to purchase it in many countries. Which reminds me, I have a project to do....

cool - I'll have to try that. I would have to guess, then, that my specimens will be "lemony fresh".... ;)

I've used artists matt in the past to seal fossils with - it's a clear coat, with a matt finish used for "fixing" pastels and drawings and such, and it does a pretty good job on fossils. I should have sealed my fossils righht away before they went into the drawers, but I didn't...

What I'm really wondering is if there is anything that will take the little specks of iron off the surface once it's there

I suspect removal would be difficult. Possibly blasting would be the best method. Chemical removal also would work, but depending on the material, it might remove everything.

ashcraft, brent allen

The fact that two very different kinds of specimen- and niether one in an iron rich limestone (I'm guessing from the color) makes me doubt iron. I've never heard of it being leeched out of and redeposited on a rock unless there was active water involved like from a hose or pipe and then the stain is not so much specific to a spot.

That looks rather suspiciously like Sooty mold. When I was in South Florida which is very humid, I had several mineral and fossil specimens that were attacked by that. It starts in tiny dark spots and then spreads.

Be true to the reality you create.

Mold is a thought, but this stuff is very hard. Any pyrite in that matrix?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The fact that two very different kinds of specimen- and niether one in an iron rich limestone (I'm guessing from the color) makes me doubt iron. I've never heard of it being leeched out of and redeposited on a rock unless there was active water involved like from a hose or pipe and then the stain is not so much specific to a spot.

That looks rather suspiciously like Sooty mold. When I was in South Florida which is very humid, I had several mineral and fossil specimens that were attacked by that. It starts in tiny dark spots and then spreads.

Frank - they're from the same formation, taken within yards of each other in West Central Wisconsin. Lots of iron present. But my guess that the "blooms" are composed of iron is just a guess - it could very well be that they are biological.

Either way, I think Ashcraft is right - I don't want to scrub these too hard - prevention is the best remedy.

Frank - they're from the same formation, taken within yards of each other in West Central Wisconsin. Lots of iron present. But my guess that the "blooms" are composed of iron is just a guess - it could very well be that they are biological.

Either way, I think Ashcraft is right - I don't want to scrub these too hard - prevention is the best remedy.

My bad. I mistook the first pic for bone :blush:

unknown what the spots actually consist of, and therefore whether they'll grow in size or proliferate in quantity. what i do know is that the human eye, at least mine, is frequently much more offended by less-than-perfect attempts to "fix" a problem than by the problem itself. for that reason, i am extremely cautious in decided whether to put a preservative on something or try to clean it or repair it or whatever.

too often the result can be somewhat like bad plastic surgery or a hair comb-over. far more noticeable and distracting than the condition it was meant to "fix".

too often the result can be somewhat like bad plastic surgery or a hair comb-over. far more noticeable and distracting than the condition it was meant to "fix".

So I shouldn't be using Future on my comb-over? :o

So I shouldn't be using Future on my comb-over? :o

You couls allways shave it and go for Turtle Wax! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Mold is a thought, but this stuff is very hard. Any pyrite in that matrix?

That was my thought also. Pyrite reacts with water. Just the moisture in the air is enough to do it over time. The smaller the pyrite crystal, the more surface area and it will react quicker.

Most of my limestone and shale material is fairly heavy in pyrite and I apply a coat of Krylon (matte typically, gloss if you prefer) and I dilute it with acetone. Apply it a brush. I can spray it from the can undiluted, but it goes on too thick for my taste.

One thing most people overlook when managing their collections is what they are stored in. For instance, oak cabinets can actually damage fossils because the wood emits a small amount of natural acid as it ages that vaporizes and can actually mar specimens that are composed of carbonate. In the case in this thread I'm guessing it is an issue with moisture in the matrix promoting either mold or a chemical precipitate, but don't overlook what you keep things in.

“When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.” - Jack Handy

If it is indeed iron, I would try a really strong magnet. You can try to help it along with a soft bristle brush.