Spinosaurus Tooth

32fordboy

What would one consider a large spinosaurid tooth? I understand little is known of the animal, particularly spinosaurus, but I have here a spinosaurid tooth that is 4" long and 4" in girth. The root appears to be about 1" to 1.25" long. Thanks for your help!

Nick

That's a fairly large tooth. The largest I have seen in person was about 5 inches long and badly worn. I don't know what the max size is.

"large" is a very relative concept. for instance, if everyone you know has significant collections of those teeth, and you're trying to have bragging rights, then "large" would be say, the size of two bison teeth stacked on top of each other. if, on the other hand, the tooth is sticking out of your hand or foot, or the owner of the tooth is standing there breathing hot therapod breath on you, then large would be anything bigger than the thorns on a dewberry bush...

Guest N.AL.hunter

This is what I have been wondering. I have found a 3" tooth for sale in great condition for only $90, and then a 4" really nice tooth for over $400!! So it makes me wonder if up to 3" is fairly common and when you reach the 4" mark you really have something? Sort of like the 7" for megs.

• 2 weeks later...

My largest would be right at 4 inches if it were complete. Unfortunately, the tip is missing. There isn't any root that I remember seeing. It isn't in great shape though.