First Trip With The Grandson

Rain1950

Grandson is 9; has been in S. CA the last 4 years. His Dad is Navy and was tranferred up here in December.

We headed out to check some of the Lincoln Creek outcrops yesterday. First site was all barren siltstone. We travelled into the Capitol State Forest and located a small outcrop and hit paydirt. Lots of shells, but no crabs. The child is a natural at rock busting. I let him keep all but one shell. I kept one good sized pen-shaped shell, which I will carefully work out of the stone.

The weather was sunny, low 50s; good for rock busting. The outcrop is new; others have worked it but it's never been mentioned in any local groups. With the closure of the Porter/Malone sites; this is a decent replacement

Being mainly a mineral collector, getting out this early was a great cure for the winter blahs; this fossil thing is great therapy!

Grandson is 9; has been in S. CA the last 4 years. His Dad is Navy and was tranferred up here in December.

We headed out to check some of the Lincoln Creek outcrops yesterday. First site was all barren siltstone. We travelled into the Capitol State Forest and located a small outcrop and hit paydirt. Lots of shells, but no crabs. The child is a natural at rock busting. I let him keep all but one shell. I kept one good sized pen-shaped shell, which I will carefully work out of the stone.

The weather was sunny, low 50s; good for rock busting. The outcrop is new; others have worked it but it's never been mentioned in any local groups. With the closure of the Porter/Malone sites; this is a decent replacement

Being mainly a mineral collector, getting out this early was a great cure for the winter blahs; this fossil thing is great therapy!

Good on you!

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

• 2 weeks later...
Is that one of those dentalium (spelling?) shells that indians would use for money?

RB

Yesterday, had the grandson out again; found a few good ones.

He told me that it is dentalium; today, I looked it up and he nailed it. The various species go back to Devonian and some still exist today.

My first ID and it comes from a 9 y/o . . . .JohnWall1.jpg

JonhWall2.jpg

CSFfossils.jpg

Looks like a great trip, those fossils look in fantastic shape.

That shale is bizarre looking, or is it just me?

Welcome to the forum!

Looks like a great trip, those fossils look in fantastic shape.

That shale is bizarre looking, or is it just me?

Not shale; siltstone

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday I will have both grandsons; heading up north to sites along the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Gonna be fun times!

I hope you have a great time and find lots of fossils. :D

That spot does have crabs, but its tough pickins as you found out. Got lucky there two weeks ago. little exposure opposite side of the rd has em two. :)

Have fun up North. The first exposure opposite side of the bulkhead has lots of jacknife clams, keep and eye out for teredo wood and clams on the beach too.