A Trip To The Foothills

fig rocks

I'm sooo excited! :drool: My friend is taking me out to his secret spot in the foothills of Alberta to look for brachs and other assorted goodies tomorrow. :D We're leaving our trucks in the nearest town and heading out on quads(that's the only to get in there). :faint: I even picked up a new set of hiking boots yesterday in anticipation of the expedition. :blink: This will be cool because the focus of my searching in the past has always been ammonites. :) I'll try to post pics as soon as I can after I get back.

That's cool Fig be careful have fun and GOOD LUCK

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

That's cool Fig be careful have fun and GOOD LUCK
I just hope my hips don't give out on me! :faint: My daughter told me to take lots of Tylenol Arthritis medicine with me. :blink: Sometimes I think she knows me better than I do? :D

New boots? Take some moleskin and something to cut it with; new-boot blisters are no fun!

Have a great time!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Just for interest sack, where are you going, like what site

I know of some good and easy sea sh#t sites :blink:

I just got back from an awsome trip west of Caroline out by Ram river falls! :drool: Now I see why we needed quads to get out there, we were on top of a flipping mountain! :faint: My hips held out and no blisters from my new boots but my friggin' ankles look like potatoes. :( I found some awsome shells up there that I chiseled out of the sandstone and I even got some huge plates of fossils. :D It's wild to think that way up there was once under water. :blink: I've got a ton of pics but I used my daughters camera and I can't hook it to my computer so she's going to burn a CD for me tomorrow and I'll upload them to the forum. :)

If you want to see mountains and fossils come down here

and I will take you out to Canyon Creek

it is now a long walk

But all type of Banff frm sea sh#t :drool:

I finally got the pics on my computer. Here's some of the shells, most of them are fist sized! :drool:

post-1761-1251149572_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1251149682_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1251149803_thumb.jpg

More shells! Any IDs on these would be great! :) The plate of shells is the size of a toaster.

post-1761-1251151302_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1251151187_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1251151092_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1251151378_thumb.jpg

A fossil site with a view! :drool:

post-1761-1251151750_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1251151806_thumb.jpgThat little line through the trees is the cutline we used to get up here! :faint:

post-1761-1251151844_thumb.jpg

(green with envy)

I think Inoceramus labiatus is now in the genus Mytiloides. It's a world-wide guide fossil to the Turonian (Upper Cretaceous). Nice specimens.

Don

I think Inoceramus labiatus is now in the genus Mytiloides. It's a world-wide guide fossil to the Turonian (Upper Cretaceous). Nice specimens.

Don

i think you're right, but i'm kinda fond of the word "inoceramus" so i'm hesitant to give it up.

What a gorgeous place to spend the day; with fossils too :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

post-1761-1251161679_thumb.jpgHere's my daughter and I posing. :P

post-1761-1251161773_thumb.jpgPart of the trail going up the mountain :faint:

post-1761-1251161984_thumb.jpgpost-1761-1251162088_thumb.jpgYeah, we made it to the top! :D

Thanks guys!

Tracer, some of the shells almost look like hematite. They are in sandstone.

Great finds and even better Photo's :drool:

If you don't mind me asking

was this your first trip up there.

The mountains are nice

I still like the Bad Lands

Great finds and even better Photo's :drool:

If you don't mind me asking

was this your first trip up there.

The mountains are nice

I still like the Bad Lands

Yes it was grampa and we wouldn't have made it without quads, it was so steep.

Don

Thank you tracer and FossilDAWG, I've been looking at pics and agree with your findings. They're definitely Mytiloides mytiloides from the upper lower Turonian. They say 92-93 mys but I guess that layer is really hard to accurately date. :)

• New Members

Thank you for the detailed pictures, and the interesting report.

I have just started hunting on the Straits of Juan de Fuca, Olympic Peninsula side.

Karen