T rex teeth and rarity

bcfossilcollector

I was just asked a question by a couple of comic book collectors who seem to have acquired a passing interest in fossils, as to the rarity of T rex fossils especially teeth. I stated that T rex is one of the best described theropods via the fossil record and that the teeth while very expensive were readily available. The follow up question was along the lines of how many teeth have been found or are field collected on a yearly basis. While I think it might be an impossible question to answer I thought I’ll query the members of the forum. 

I remember going to the Tucson show and it would be hard to find T-rex teeth, some years not a one could be found... Then the internet,  eBay...and Sue...brought renewed interest and lots of diggers appeared looking for fossils especially T rex teeth.  Today, ranchers along with managing their herds dig or prospect for fossils.  Currently, T-rex teeth are readily available through many different sources.  I believe a few hundred are found every year and that does not include very small ones that may be sold as Nanotyrannus or Tyrannosaurid indet.   They are not rare just very expensive.   

• I found this Informative 8

Very expensive and very desirable. Thanks Troodon!