Dan's May 2009 Fossil Report

Uncle Siphuncle

I finally got off my laurels and put together my May report. For those with extra time on their hands, feel free to have a looksee at

Brazosport Museum Website

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

i've loved those reports from the moment i first laid eyes on one. i actually get all excited when i get the word that the latest one(s) are on line. At some point they need to all be compiled and published so that they will survive and be available for at least decades, if not eons.

when i'm reading the reports, i'm torn between the moments of the discovery and the physical ordeals they chronicle.

good stuff, and told in an interesting manner with interesting language.

i've loved those reports from the moment i first laid eyes on one. i actually get all excited when i get the word that the latest one(s) are on line. At some point they need to all be compiled and published so that they will survive and be available for at least decades, if not eons.

What he said!

Thanks guys. July wasn't quite as hard core but still worth photographing. Good times no matter how you slice 'em.

Grüße,

Dan. awsome finds, and reports. I just spent 20 min. going through them, And still have more to go . thoroughly enjoyable and educational!

Woo Hooo! They're here! I bet those were some pretty tall laurels to climb down from. :P Got me some reading to do. Oooh, a bonus. June is in there, too!

I always enjoy reading and looking at those..

Now I am ready for the August report... :P

I still reread the back issues on and off too...

Welcome to the forum!

August...we's is got's some surprises in that one.....

Grüße,

Dan

I'll repeat, Awesome reports always a must read, you and your friends and family have some great adventures and fossil finds. Who could ask for more!!!

Cephalopods rule!!

Well, young Weston isn't asking for more at the moment.....2 day dawn to dusk trips in 105F climes, often sleeping outside can be a bit much for a 7 year old. Once it cools down I'll try to coax him into more outings. As for now, full steam ahead for the big kids.....ask John what its like collecting in summer with me.....often sleeping in the shade with my hat pulled over my face while he finds all the good stuff!

Grüße,

Great report Dan, anyone who braves this Tx heat should be commended.Love the crab display!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August...we's is got's some surprises in that one.....

Ohhh....the teaser?? Can't wait to see what you guys found. :drool:

The site that you collected near LaJolla is a classic locality for the Upper Pliocene San Diego Formation. I have been there several times myself. The very large scallop is Patinopecten healeyi (Arnold, 1906), the smaller flat scallop probably Pecten bellus hemphilli Dall and the mid-sized scallop I am not sure but perhaps Argopecten subdolus Hertlein. The snail is Opalia varicostata (Stearns, 1875). The small clam is Donax (not sure of the species). If you found them in situ then they are San Diego Fm, however if you found them in float there is a possiblity that they could be an Upper Pleistocene shell from the Bay Point Formation which thinly overlies the Pliocene sediments the further south that you go. Hope this helps.

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

Well, young Weston isn't asking for more at the moment.....2 day dawn to dusk trips in 105F climes, often sleeping outside can be a bit much for a 7 year old. Once it cools down I'll try to coax him into more outings. As for now, full steam ahead for the big kids.....ask John what its like collecting in summer with me.....often sleeping in the shade with my hat pulled over my face while he finds all the good stuff!

Hunting with Dan in the summer heat (yeah, I'm the guy that sometimes shows up in his reports) is an exercise in energy management --- his. :P You guys wouldn't believe it; he could decide to rest anywhere. :faint:

post-420-1251227650_thumb.jpg

post-420-1251228104_thumb.jpg

Yet, I've had him in hard training this summer, and he has improved tremendously. Now, he can almost keep up. Paraphrasing the Duke, "if you can't respect your elders, then you should learn to respect your betters".

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just looking for my next patch of shade.....

Grüße,

Just looking for my next patch of shade.....

I have spent many an hour sleeping either in a deep whole or spoil piles in bakersfield. I feel you Dan!

John

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

It's about time I get off my butt and start looking!

Grüße,