Help Please.. Newbie Here In Pa

wyatte

Hello fossil forum - I am (gulp) a newbie hunter and fossil forum greenhorn and am in need of some help. ( Please no iniation rituals like a toilet swirlee)

I am lucky enough to live in PA (hershey area) and would love to go out with a friend of mine to st clair and deer lake.

I have spent (literally) hours and hours trying to figure out where to go for both places and just when I think that I finally find directions... there is an update and I am told that the site is closed or something has been built on it.

Is there anyone that can tell me where to go exactly with directions in St clair and deer lake to get some really good pieces? I am not looking to steal anybodies spot... I dont mind working hard to dig them out and, its a few hours drive - I would not be a regular there. I have always had a liking for fossils and now being a new home owner finally have the room to properly display them. (now I just need to find some to fill up all of the room lol)

I have read that in st clair you can get some larger pieces and believe I have the tools to do so (any hints, tips, advice any body can give for how and where to get larger pieces from would be great!!!)

I finding that it is very hard for people to tell you about sites - makes sense - but I am not looking to steal anyones site. I would really love to find some fish and or trilobites if anyone has sites or ideas for them.

I am working on a location now that might be productive and if I find out it is, Ill keep you posted (might take a while.. its a bit of a drive also)

Thanks everyone!!

Life is what you make of it - Now Dig!!!

Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx. You'll find that there are lots of knowledgable people on the forum (but, unfortunately regarding locations in Penn., I'm not one :wacko: ).

Hi there :) Welcome from MD :)

Here is a list of some of the sites in PA

http://www.pennminerals.com/collecting.htm

I can help a little with St. Clair. As for directions just head toward the town in PA. Once you get there go down E, hancock street till it becomes Burma. Then head back for about a mile till you get past the gun range. It will be on your right hand side. The entrance is marked with two small boulders.

Here is a link to a trip we took there a little ealier this year. Mind you it is HOT there in the summer. It is like walking on asphalt.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...3&hl=clair#

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Hehe..hehe....he said it's hot there. Sorry, but on day 64 of 100+ temperatures, I have no pity. :mellow:

I do wish you good luck! :D

Hehe..hehe....he said it's hot there. Sorry, but on day 64 of 100+ temperatures, I have no pity. :mellow:

I do wish you good luck! :D

Well you are walking on all black shale! :)

I do agree it is WAY hotter in TX though.

Welcome from Galveston Island and that iniation rituals like a toilet swirlee thing don't happen till about post 10 or 12

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Well you are walking on all black shale! :)

I do agree it is WAY hotter in TX though.

Ummm...not a lot of black shale. Everything is white, limestone white! It looks like the surface of the moon.......only hotter. :mellow:

Welcome from Galveston Island and that iniation rituals like a toilet swirlee thing don't happen till about post 10 or 12

To do the swirley initiation right, we'd have to network a bunch of Wii's; maybe between V-3.0 and the new server we could make it work...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ummm...not a lot of black shale. Everything is white, limestone white! It looks like the surface of the moon.......only hotter. :mellow:

I mean at St. Clair not Texas :rolleyes::D At St. Clair Pa, you have to walk on all black shale. It heats up fast!

I mean at St. Clair not Texas :rolleyes::D At St. Clair Pa, you have to walk on all black shale. It heats up fast!

Oh yeah, I see that. Ha! absorption vs. reflection. I guess you guys need to wear special shoes then.? :D

Hi Wyatte, welcome from West Chester Pa. I can give you some locations. Deer Creek ans St. Claire are no ones secret spots, by a long stretch. Gotta run now but if you E mail me at Flyguy784@comcast.net I'll send you some info later.

Hi Wyatte, welcome from West Chester Pa. I can give you some locations. Deer Creek ans St. Claire are no ones secret spots, by a long stretch. Gotta run now but if you E mail me at Flyguy784@comcast.net I'll send you some info later.

Is it ok if I email you too?

I'm been looking for some sites for a while, as you can tell by this post :D

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?sh...mp;hl=trilobite