Snakes At Texoma

danielp

Went to a spot on lake texoma today. Didn't find much worth talking about, but did find a nice little copperhead under a rock i flipped over. He about had my finger for lunch. Hope everybody is careful out there. I think I'll be using the backside of my hammer to flip rocks with now.

post-1313-1251247943_thumb.jpg

Pretty critters those when encountered safely, and yes caution is a good idea. One can find spiders, centipedes and scorpions in a very unfortunate way. Always a good idea not to stick a hand under a rock... ;)

Glad to hear you appreciated the encounter (live and let live?)

Be true to the reality you create.

copperheads are pretty. but i had one once that would fly into such a rage when i tried to deal with it that i just took the whole cage out into the country and dumped him out of it to terrorize anybody but me. this snake would zip around the cage, slamming its head into the side at warp speed. it was a big copperhead, and i could tell that if it ever figured out to go up instead of conking its head, that it'd be out of the cage and onto me before you could say, "beetlejuice" three times, which, by the way was a good movie. have you see it more than 8 or 10 times? me too, probably. where's travis? he's seldom here when i need him...or wait...seldom here...here, seldom..you deal with what's left of this post...

post-1313-1251247943_thumb.jpg

Pretty critters those when encountered safely, and yes caution is a good idea. One can find spiders, centipedes and scorpions in a very unfortunate way. Always a good idea not to stick a hand under a rock... ;)

that snake is beautiful frank. we dont have any around here...just timbers.

Actually we do have copperheads, they just don't look quite like that. Ours are usually much more red. They are relatively rare in the state, but, I did see one several years ago. Haven't seen a Timber, but I don't think they're in the areas I'm usually in. I'd love to see one, though.

Went to a spot on lake texoma today. Didn't find much worth talking about, but did find a nice little copperhead under a rock i flipped over. He about had my finger for lunch. Hope everybody is careful out there. I think I'll be using the backside of my hammer to flip rocks with now.

Wow, I there this weekend. I turned a hundred rocks over. There was a lot of spiders, never thought of snakes. I too will be using my hammer to flip rocks from now on!!!!!

"No matter where you go, there you are!"

Actually we do have copperheads, they just don't look quite like that. Ours are usually much more red. They are relatively rare in the state, but, I did see one several years ago. Haven't seen a Timber, but I don't think they're in the areas I'm usually in. I'd love to see one, though.

That is because here in NC we have Southern Copperheads. In NJ you have a different subspecies. Timbers are becoming rare in the north thanks to developement

Not as calm a snake as a Moccasin, tracer. They are often not that adaptable to captivity and more inclined to nip... :drool:

Yeah you have them around there. Back about 1994 I found one at Big Brook of all places. It was sunning on the top of the bank upstream of Boundary Road and just sat there as quietly as could be. Medium-sized and had the classic dark copper bands. I know snakes and it wasn't some form of water snake. Never saw another. Now up in the Shawangunks I had the pleasure of several encounters with Timbers, both large and small. And I once found myself bushwhacking through a bunch of blueberries amongst the rocky crags and realized I was in amongst a bunch of them. I couldn't see 'em but they smell like cucumbers! It's very distinct.

I turn all rocks, big or small, with my pick and when walking in bush lead with a walking stick. For collecting I even have a home made meter stick which I place in photos for scale.

Both in NY and Ohio it wasn't uncommon to encounter wasp nests in amongst talus. Nothing more onrey than yellow jackets in the late fall!

Both in NY and Ohio it wasn't uncommon to encounter wasp nests in amongst talus. Nothing more onrey than yellow jackets in the late fall!

I was at Shark River once, and came upon a large sandy area off of the trail that I figured might be dredged or some other material, and went to investigate for fossils. Shortly after, I was surrounded by Cicada Killer Wasps. It was apparently their nesting ground, as there were burrows everywhere. Needless to say I didn't stick around long enough to find any fossils.

I was at Shark River once, and came upon a large sandy area off of the trail that I figured might be dredged or some other material, and went to investigate for fossils. Shortly after, I was surrounded by Cicada Killer Wasps. It was apparently their nesting ground, as there were burrows everywhere. Needless to say I didn't stick around long enough to find any fossils.

eeeeooooowwwww!!!!!

I have always admired copperheads. I've collected and kept Trans-Pecos copperheads, but my favorite was always the southern copperhead.

What is the story on this snake, Frank? Is this a wild-caught freak, or is someone breeding them (!) for aberrant patterns? I wish you'd pump up the color in this image -- I'll bet this is a beauty!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I have always admired copperheads. I've collected and kept Trans-Pecos copperheads, but my favorite was always the southern copperhead.

What is the story on this snake, Frank? Is this a wild-caught freak, or is someone breeding them (!) for aberrant patterns? I wish you'd pump up the color in this image -- I'll bet this is a beauty!

Actually there is quite the story on this one. I recieved a call from my neighbor (I should point out I live in the country several miles west of Greenville, NC). Anyhow, my neighbor sent har child over to tell me there was a Copperhead in the backyard. So, I grabbed my tongs and ran over along with the child and another neighber. When we got there I spotted the Copperhead which was a two footer but it was not alone. Wrapped around it was a slightly larger eastern Chain King who seemed determined to eat it. After securing the Copperhead's head, I unwound the King. A few neighbors turned up so I gave an impromptu lecture on NC snakes and especially why they (farmers all) should welcome Kings. I took both home and after several months released them both; the King locally, the Copperhead far out into the woods where it would not contact (hopefully) the locals.

As to the color, I wish a camera could do justice to our local Copperhead. They have almost a pearly quality to the light gray color. I have seen three here since I moved to Ayden and each has had a variation of the pattern aberancy and beautiful colors this had.

Dinner partners

post-1313-1251327793_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1251327913_thumb.jpg

Yeah you have them around there. Back about 1994 I found one at Big Brook of all places. It was sunning on the top of the bank upstream of Boundary Road and just sat there as quietly as could be. Medium-sized and had the classic dark copper bands. I know snakes and it wasn't some form of water snake. Never saw another. Now up in the Shawangunks I had the pleasure of several encounters with Timbers, both large and small. And I once found myself bushwhacking through a bunch of blueberries amongst the rocky crags and realized I was in amongst a bunch of them. I couldn't see 'em but they smell like cucumbers! It's very distinct.

I turn all rocks, big or small, with my pick and when walking in bush lead with a walking stick. For collecting I even have a home made meter stick which I place in photos for scale.

actually guys, i was talking about here in the pine barrens. there arnt any copperheads this far south in the state, just timbers, and quite a few of them too. i know of a den near forked river that has over 500 timbers that winter over in it. the timbers here in the pines are developing a neurotoxic side to their venom, and no one knows exactly why. anthony, id be glad to take you out to see them if you want.

Actually there is quite the story on this one. I recieved a call from my neighbor (I should point out I live in the country several miles west of Greenville, NC). Anyhow, my neighbor sent har child over to tell me there was a Copperhead in the backyard. So, I grabbed my tongs and ran over along with the child and another neighber. When we got there I spotted the Copperhead which was a two footer but it was not alone. Wrapped around it was a slightly larger eastern Chain King who seemed determined to eat it. After securing the Copperhead's head, I unwound the King. A few neighbors turned up so I gave an impromptu lecture on NC snakes and especially why they (farmers all) should welcome Kings. I took both home and after several months released them both; the King locally, the Copperhead far out into the woods where it would not contact (hopefully) the locals.

As to the color, I wish a camera could do justice to our local Copperhead. They have almost a pearly quality to the light gray color. I have seen three here since I moved to Ayden and each has had a variation of the pattern aberancy and beautiful colors this had.

Is this at all close, Frank? I was surprised when the ground-color stayed gray! I have never before seen this pearly-gray color morph. That is an unusually pretty snake!

post-42-1251329779_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Is this at all close, Frank? I was surprised when the ground-color stayed gray! I have never before seen this pearly-gray color morph. That is an unusually pretty snake!

post-42-1251329779_thumb.jpg

Chick here :blush: so may jump a bit more than you all when faced with a snake but after the initial shock, this little guy was really interesting for me. It is a milk snake, thought maybe it was a young copperhead with odd coloring at first until I looked up Ohio native snakes. Anyhow, thought I'd share this since the topic was snakish.

post-2109-1251331644_thumb.jpg

After posting (and losing the internet for an hour) I rememberd I had never photoshopped this pic. So I went back and the below is as close as life as I can get. Not so much blue Shensley as your effort produced.

Nice Milk snake there. A quick and easy method of ID is that Copperheads have bands that widen from top to bottom. Narrow on top. Harmless snakes like Milks have bands that narrow and are wider on top. Note the harmless water snake from Florida - often mis-IDed as a Copperhead.

post-1313-1251334723_thumb.jpg

South Florida Nerodia f. (water snake)

post-1313-1251335129_thumb.jpg

Cotton Mouths (aka Water Moccasins) are the ones you have to watch out for, they will attack for spite.

actually, only one cottonmouth that struck at me gave any indication it was doing it out of spite, and i'm just drawing that conclusion from it's "your momma" tattoo. i really think that snakes bite out of mistaken identity, like sharks. they just think you're a large, flesh-tone frog.

Cotton Mouths (aka Water Moccasins) are the ones you have to watch out for, they will attack for spite.

COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG!

Of the hundreds of Moccasins I have found, caught or worked with professionally in my own collection or as a Zoo curator, I have NEVER encountered an agressive Eastern Cottonmouth. When encountered in nature, the Moccasin will either retreat, or if cornered display its fangs and wait. I have literally placed my snakehook inside the mouth of a Moccasin in threat mode several times and they did not bite it.

Unfortunately all a snake has to do is move in your direction and some people interpret that as an attack... :faint:

I will point out that the only bite scar I have is from a Moc that was bagged and thus pushed to the limit of its tollerance.

As I explained elsewhere on this forum, the bulk of so called Moccasin attacks are the result of misidentification with watersnakes, some of which have the defensive practice of charging and striking towards their opponent in an effort to throw them off balance and thus escape.

The Cantil (or Mexican Moccasin) is more agressively defensive, but then western snkes (particularly from arid regions often are more aggressive.

yes, moccasins and sharks are just misunderstood. bears, on the other hand, are evil. (just kidding, bear lovers of america and other places). no aminals were harmed in the posting of this post...

yes, moccasins and sharks are just misunderstood. bears, on the other hand, are evil. (just kidding, bear lovers of america and other places). no aminals were harmed in the posting of this post...

Heh...Heh... I always knew Ben wasn't that gentle.... :o

I will agree that Moccasins do not attack out of spite,but will add that they do not slither away to flee like most other snakes will. They are a heavy bodied snake that is not built for speed , and in my experiences with them they usually stand their ground.

I will agree that Moccasins do not attack out of spite,but will add that they do not slither away to flee like most other snakes will. They are a heavy bodied snake that is not built for speed , and in my experiences with them they usually stand their ground.

Again, have to disagree in part. If the opportunity is there to run - they will. However, as you pointed out, they are a slow snake, so if no cover is close by they will usually stand their ground.

Black racers, although non venomous, are very agressive... and man, do they put up a chase. haha. Ive had to sprint and change directions just to get that thing out from behind me. haha

But I do love copperheads. I want to train some to come along with me when I go out hunting. That would be great.

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex