Looking At A Bizarro Road Trip

Ron E.

OK suppose I hit highway 75, S. from I-40, how quick could I find non-Mississippian fossils, and where?

http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/level2/geology...geologymap.html

here's a Geo map of OK. Going south, you'll hit some ordovician, and then cretaceous after that. Which happens to be on the north side of Lake Texoma. Very nice exposure of Duck Creek limestone there. If you like, and are willing to go to the Texas side of the lake, I can tell you where to go.

Ron, call me if you want. I'll be away from the computer the rest of the night. I don't have internet in my living quarters, so I have to hang out in the office and look at websites... lol.

214-517-5798

Dave

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

Sounds like a bad case of Formation Fever!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

OK suppose I hit highway 75, S. from I-40, how quick could I find non-Mississippian fossils, and where?
Well, first I'd want to know how hard you hit the highway, how badly your vehicle was damaged and was anybody hurt. Then I could give you an estimate on how quick you'd be back out looking for fossils! :P:D :D :D

Well, first I'd want to know how hard you hit the highway, how badly your vehicle was damaged and was anybody hurt. Then I could give you an estimate on how quick you'd be back out looking for fossils! :P:D :D :D

The highway was hit about about 75 S.... 'S' meaning seconds per.... the length of the I (eye) 40 times ... about sixty inches, so five feet. 1.25minutes per five feet... or vis versa, five feet per 1.25 seconds, so that would be a one foot for every quarter minute.... 1320 minutes per mile... 22 miles per hour.

thats still pretty hard for hitting the highway. You Okay?

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Sounds like a bad case of Formation Fever!

Ah, that's exactly what I have too! :faint: (bleh) :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

The highway was hit about about 75 S.... 'S' meaning seconds per.... the length of the I (eye) 40 times ... about sixty inches, so five feet. 1.25minutes per five feet... or vis versa, five feet per 1.25 seconds, so that would be a one foot for every quarter minute.... 1320 minutes per mile... 22 miles per hour.

thats still pretty hard for hitting the highway. You Okay?

I think I'll survive. :rolleyes:

HORRIBLE day at work yesterday. Forced to bow to corporate politics and stop saving the company big bucks with my preferred technology. I need to go find some fossils.

http://www.okgeosurvey1.gov/level2/geology...geologymap.html

here's a Geo map of OK. Going south, you'll hit some ordovician, and then cretaceous after that. Which happens to be on the north side of Lake Texoma. Very nice exposure of Duck Creek limestone there. If you like, and are willing to go to the Texas side of the lake, I can tell you where to go.

Ron, call me if you want. I'll be away from the computer the rest of the night. I don't have internet in my living quarters, so I have to hang out in the office and look at websites... lol.

214-517-5798

Dave

Thanks, Dave. It's a five-hour drive, I don't think I'll try it until I can stay overnight.

In the meantime, your Oklahoma map shows some Devonian/Silurian ground within a few miles. I think I'll hit a couple of local spots, then go check out that earlier stuff. Maybe I can score me some trilos!

wait. i think i messed up on my math... it would be .0455 MPH. not 22... i had my numbers switched.... i think.

so thats not very fast at all..... Hmm...

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex