Fluorescent Minerals

manta

G'Day

I am looking to start up a Floresecent mineral collection, at this stage there is no way I can afford a short wave light but was thinking if for longwave minerals the following would work?

http://www.techbuy.com.au/p/26749/CASINGS_CASE_LIGHTING/FlexiGlow/CCLUT.asp

I have no idea when it comes to this but would love to get anyones advice,input,recommendations?

Cheers

Manta

typically, the 'regular' black lights (such as those found at a party store) will work for making minerals fluoresce.... it might not make them their brightest, but it will work!

Have fun, I look forward to seeing future posts of your collections!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Great, thank you for the advice it is much appreciated.

I will post some pics of my ever growing mineral collection, and of course more pics of some new fossils when they arrive.

Cheers

Manta,

You can find blacklight flu bulbs that will fit a standard 10 gl aquarium light. Very inexpensive and you can mount it above your shelf if you wish. While your at it keep in mund that a lot of fossils Fluoresce - especially teeth and bone (dependant upon comp. White River and Chinese are two good examples.

Be true to the reality you create.

I took a video and some pics - the quality is not the best but gives a good idea.

I now need to find a fish tank light to make them alot brighter

th_01092009.jpg

If I might make a couple suggestions...

Under Longwave

Mango calcite has a great rose color.

Some Indian Ruby shows a gorgeous scarlet. look for masses of smaller Xls.

Material From Franklin NJ looks very good under both Long and Short wave.

I'll also add that for the Franklin, NJ material, the vast majority does nothing under longwave. Shortwave is the best way to view most of that material. I can't comment on any other sites, though.

I'll also add that for the Franklin, NJ material, the vast majority does nothing under longwave. Shortwave is the best way to view most of that material. I can't comment on any other sites, though.

Anthony,

You are making me feel very lucky... :D I have a nice chunk of Franklin material which looks great even under Longwave (thought they all did).

Manta,

I have some Petrified wood that glows Copper under LW, and another which I have not IDed which is a bright electric yellow. Autunite is very yellow too but is radioactive.

Of course (on another front) many Scorpions glow a beautiful Turquoise under LW- especially the giants sold in the pet trade.

I got a 18 in black light ready to go for 10 bucks at Wal-Mart. Don't know if you have WM in your neck of the woods Manta but maybe you can order one.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

We dont have a Wallmart in Australia yet but will check out ebay and the fish tank lights.

Will check out the minerals which have been mentioned here and put them on my shopping list, will post some more pics once i find some

Cheers