coprolite

visedhercules98

How can you tell if a coprolite comes from a reptile or a mammal or just a different mineral formation in general?

Well if it’s Pre-Cretaceous it’s pretty unlikely. You have to know the formation, did the formation it came from have any reptiles? Mammals? Inclusions are important, and structure is as well, whatever sphincter marks are present. Both a pretty diverse groups. It’s usually pretty hard to match a coprolite with its maker.

• I found this Informative 1

Happy hunting,

Mason

That is certainly true.  The only way to be certain is if a Domino's label is in the specimen.

I mean, in layman terms, I think it just comes down to experience and like Whodaman said, location of the specimen.

rydysig.JPG

Well said @WhodamanHD! Much of what we know about coprolites is by comparing them to the scat of extant creatures. We are rarely able to tie them to the species of origin (aka poopetrator). We are far more likely to be able to identify the prey, which gives us an idea of the environment in which the creature lived. But this too, an be difficult. This thread may help with regard to coprolite identification in general.