Hot glue on fossils

Wolf89

Hot melt glue may not be the best/ strongest choice for a mounting adhesive. 

It may work well for something quick for crafts and show, but it is not too good for holding weight. Personally, I would find something more appropriate for the job.

Can you explain what materials you are trying to stick together? That will give us the a better idea of what is needed. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

As long as it is something light, you should be OK.  

My father glued many fossils and artifacts the same way that lasted for years. When I inherited them, The purist in me had to take them off. Luckily hot glue tends to peel away pretty easily when old.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

19 minutes ago, Wolf89 said:

I'm trying to glue sharks teeth to the back of a felt shadow box.

If it was my project I would use a felt covered cork board backing and pins to hold the shark teeth in place . I like the old museum look. But hot glue will do the job 

Hot glue on Shark teeth should not be a problem for a shadow box..  Not my favorite approach why my teeth are in riker cases.  

• I found this Informative 2

One note on this subject. Try to confine your glue to the enamel portion of the tooth. Just for ease of removal if you ever decide to.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

Hot glue on Shark teeth should not be a problem for a shadow box..  Not my favorite approach why my teeth are in riker cases.  

The problem with those is that my shark teeth are of varying thicknesses, and I have to put in a lot of extra filling and it still barely works at keeping them pushed against the glass. I would rather use rikers though. 

Yep thats an issue.  Rikers come in various thicknesses and I try to put like size teeth together to minimize those issues.

Here's a couple of examples of the way I display teeth of different sizes etc. 

20170919_093315.thumb.jpg.036a248b08c4533a9ad03c0e84d4d406.jpg

16463854_10207027391163700_4713796346323397605_o.thumb.jpg.535dd40abf913626fb812b736b986881.jpg

Wolf, Jarrod has some great examples of ways to display there.

You can customize the background color on your Rikers to suit your pieces with swatches of cloth.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG