what types of fossils can be found in lousiana?

MRfossilMISTER

i do know coral can be found in lousiana but thats it, any info on it would be greatly appreciated :D

:trex::trilo::meg:games are fun, but finding fossil is even better!:meg::trilo::trex:

While Louisiana is not rich in fossil-producing sites, it does have more than coral available.  Here is a LINK to the section on Louisiana fossil localities in my pdf library here on TFF. You might find some interesting reading there.

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Louisiana has great petrified palm, the state fossil. http://www.petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/OligoLouIntroduction.html

Precious opal and diamond also occur.

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

The Tunica Hills area will be probably the best bet. Between St Francisville and Natchez a lot of Pleistocene fossils can be found. There are some PDF's floating around online that you can search for on Tunica Hills fossils.

I have heard that dredges from the coastal marshes have pulled up ice age material as well but they're not likely to be in great shape if you do get lucky and find some.

• I found this Informative 1

I found a hybodont shark tooth in the loess formation that AnThOny mentions. Much later a friend found a mastodon tooth somewhere in the middle of the state but he refused to tell me where. :(

19 hours ago, Moozillion said:

I found a hybodont shark tooth in the loess formation that AnThOny mentions. Much later a friend found a mastodon tooth somewhere in the middle of the state but he refused to tell me where. :(

I have heard of some stray Pleistocene vertebrate material from Baton Rouge, but I think the odds increase further North.