Close Encounters With Cougars

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Hey all, I know we've had our close encounters with some nasty critters on fossil collecting trips like snakes, gators, venomous spiders, a friend once told me about encountering a rather large bear - in the Lee Creek mine of all places, but has anyone ever encountered a cougar on a fossil collecting trip. I'm not talking about tracks, I'm talking up close and personal.

I have no story - just wondering

Hey all, I know we've had our close encounters with some nasty critters on fossil collecting trips like snakes, gators, venomous spiders, a friend once told me about encountering a rather large bear - in the Lee Creek mine of all places, but has anyone ever encountered a cougar on a fossil collecting trip. I'm not talking about tracks, I'm talking up close and personal.

I have no story - just wondering

I took a lunch break during a fossil hunting trip earlier this year and ran into a couple of cougars. But, after a couple of games of pool and a few beers, I figured out that they were married. I decided not to go near the den. ;)

I took a lunch break during a fossil hunting trip earlier this year and ran into a couple of cougars. But, after a couple of games of pool and a few beers, I figured out that they were married. I decided not to go near the den. ;)

At least they weren't saber tooth! That's in my age group. :P

Guest Smilodon

I believe the 2-legged species is much more common than the 4-legged kind

On a serious note, I have encountered only one mountain lion in my outings. We were camping near Bandera, TX at a friend's ranch. We were walking down in steep gulch, and were startled by what I think was a wild goat of some sort, like a ram. The goat came up to edge huffing and snorting, and it had thorns sticking out of it's chin. It saw us, paused for a second, and then jumped down right past us. After we had absorbed the shock of what we had seen, and turned back around we saw a huge mountain lion at the top a little further back. We just stared. It stood there for about 5-10 seconds, and turned around. I guess it didn't think we were going to be easy prey. It was pretty exciting.

Later we got to see the ranch dogs drown a wild pig in the pond. Seemed like some wild country to me! :)

Guest Smilodon

On a serious note, I have encountered only one mountain lion in my outings. We were camping near Bandera, TX at a friend's ranch. We were walking down in steep gulch, and were startled by what I think was a wild goat of some sort, like a ram. The goat came up to edge huffing and snorting, and it had thorns sticking out of it's chin. It saw us, paused for a second, and then jumped down right past us. After we had absorbed the shock of what we had seen, and turned back around we saw a huge mountain lion at the top a little further back. We just stared. It stood there for about 5-10 seconds, and turned around. I guess it didn't think we were going to be easy prey. It was pretty exciting.

Later we got to see the ranch dogs drown a wild pig in the pond. Seemed like some wild country to me! :)

Wow!

LOL, I hear ya. A few years back I had a run in with this type of cougar but did go in the den. :D

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

At my age we don't call them cougars we call them honey or sweetie apologize for being born quietly leave and hope they call.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

At my age we don't call them cougars we call them honey or sweetie apologize for being born quietly leave and hope they call.

hahahahahahaha!

Nope I haven't even as much as encountered a coyote or a pet dog... I have been startled by a Blue Herring who didn't like me around...

We have Snaggle Tooth Cougars here in St. Louis that are frequently seen prowling Wal-Mart. Feigning interest with retching sounds is a good ploy as they are highly agressive.

Couldn't leave that post alone :)